Camping Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally pulled the trigger on a camping trailer. Weight is only 3k dry and 4k loaded which is butter behind the LR4.

Maiden Voyage this Friday!

26792267134_edea73a4ba_b.jpg

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice. Did you get a load leveler hitch or sway bars?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good looking setup! These vehicles look great in towing mode.

Is the Andersen part of a total hitch system or is the OEM receiver involved in the hookup? The reason I ask is because I have been toying with the idea of an Airstream and there are mixed opinions on hitch options. Also seems to be relatively little use of LRs as tow vehicles in the AS forum I've been lurking around. This is surprising to me. Maybe it's because they blew all their bucks on the AS haha.

Good luck with the maiden voyage!

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run a 2011 LR4 with Keystone 19FBPR that is ~4200lbs dry. While I haven't weighed it, I would think I'm around 5000 wet.

No anti-swaybar/equilizer. Rely on Trailer Stability Assist. LR4/Camper package tows well through Colorado mountains and trips to Yellowstone and beyond.

I would think LR's Trailer Stability Assist might conflict with a mechanical anti-sway bar. In addition mechanical equilizer systems would play havoc with the air suspension.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run a 2011 LR4 with Keystone 19FBPR that is ~4200lbs dry. While I haven't weighed it, I would think I'm around 5000 wet.

No anti-swaybar/equilizer. Rely on Trailer Stability Assist. LR4/Camper package tows well through Colorado mountains and trips to Yellowstone and beyond.

I would think LR's Trailer Stability Assist might conflict with a mechanical anti-sway bar. In addition mechanical equilizer systems would play havoc with the air suspension.

I gave thought to and read as much as I could about this. The anti sway system that I purchased is a bit different than most. The Andersen system uses a bushing for increased stability and reduced sway etc. Additionally the test runs I did with the LR4 didn't exactly tow the trailer amazing without the Andersen system. Could be due to it being single axle. It feels as the trailer is more stable with the system and it brings me a bit of mental security.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gave thought to and read as much as I could about this. The anti sway system that I purchased is a bit different than most. The Andersen system uses a bushing for increased stability and reduced sway etc. Additionally the test runs I did with the LR4 didn't exactly tow the trailer amazing without the Andersen system. Could be due to it being single axle. It feels as the trailer is more stable with the system and it brings me a bit of mental security.

I considered the Anderson but after over 2 years of towing, glad I skipped the cumbersome anti-sway/equilizer system. You are likely right that my double axle spread setup addresses sway issues. My old single axle campers bounced and swayed alot.

I say cumbersome because I once did tow the same trailer with a RRC LWB and equilizer system. Hook up and unhook was a pain. Now I place the camper, chock the wheels, raise the tongue to just where there is pressure between ball and hitch, walk up to LR4 and select access mode. Done!

Oh, and enjoy camping. Now if it would just stop raining and snowing .........

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I considered the Anderson but after over 2 years of towing, glad I skipped the cumbersome anti-sway/equilizer system. You are likely right that my double axle spread setup addresses sway issues. My old single axle campers bounced and swayed alot.

I say cumbersome because I once did tow the same trailer with a RRC LWB and equilizer system. Hook up and unhook was a pain. Now I place the camper, chock the wheels, raise the tongue to just where there is pressure between ball and hitch, walk up to LR4 and select access mode. Done!

Oh, and enjoy camping. Now if it would just stop raining and snowing .........

BTW, even easier than access mode (for me anyway) is using the remote key to raise/lower the LR4. That way I don't need to get back in the car and I can more precisely lower the LR4 to where I want it and watch as it comes down. Though I don't know if the 2011 had that ability with the remote key. Just a suggestion.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my setup. 5100 lbs dry. About 6,000 lbs loaded. (Max GVW is 6,500). Just under 25' in length when towing. 11' high.

Curt Class III receiver. Hensley Arrow Cub hitch. And, yes, it is more complex to hookup and unhook. And, yes, due to the higher tongue weight (I have weighted it at around 650 lbs) and the various concerns and absence of commitment from Land Rover regarding their "plug and play" receiver I installed the Curt which has forced me to put a "toy" spare tire underneath. During off road season I put my off road spare on top.

I pull it with a 2014 LR4 w/ the SCV6 and 8-speed transmission. I have the HD package and there was one trailer site where I had to pull it up a steep hill at no more than 10 mph. So I just dropped it into 4L and it worked great.

Anyway, pulls great here in the Colorado mountains.

Maybe I'll see you all out on the roads some time. If I do, be sure to say, "Hi"!

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0938.jpg
    IMG_0938.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 78

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thats why I went with the Andersen. Its uber simple takes 1 min max. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick