Cargo attic DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_1241.jpg

I'm guessing that relatively few of us use the standard issue LR4 cargo net on a regular basis. Mine stays stashed in a gear kit in the back. Until today.

The other day I saw an idea on the Instagram account of @arizona_overland. He used the netting as a "cargo attic" in his 4Runner. I did a test fit of it on my LR4 just now using small bungee cords wrapped around the grab handles. This is just temporary for proof of concept. He also recommends flat bungees to criss-cross each other for better support. But I have to say that the test fit was simple, used existing gear, and has the added benefit of just looking cool. It makes me think of the built-in roof netting on the older Discos. It doesn't interfere with headroom for the 2nd row at all and I don't think it would annoy 3rd row passengers either. At any rate it would be very easy to take down when necessary. I may use some type of French or carabiner clip as the regular setup.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan (aka @arizona_overland) shared this link for those who don't have the LR-issue cargo net:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QFEJVG...olid=3LH2OUQ1QC222&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

In his 4Runner he had some grab handle screws that allowed him to retrofit some nice attachment points from this kit. It looks like the screws on our LR4's might be tougher to get to so I'm not sure what I'll do about that yet. Again it may be as simple as some carabiner clips to loop around the actual grab handles. The corner clips for the cargo netting and the flat diagonal bungees could just snap to that.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only concern would be out on the trails where those items could hit the glass? I guess you could just put soft things up there like sleeping bags and such. I think Mantec makes a rigid one but every picture I've seen has a 3 or a 4 with no sunroof. Most of us should have those.

RNA1128.jpg

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valid concern in theory. A couple of mitigating factors are that the webbing barely extends underneath the 2nd or 3rd row glass. Most of it is underneath the headliner area. Also, as you mentioned, it would be light and soft stuff up there. Even with the flat bungees for more support I don't see it holding anything very heavy.

I like that rigid solution you shared.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That rigid one costs $350... on sale. It covers a different area than the webbing though, it's entirely over the 3rd row glass. I have the webbing too, but I wouldn't be able to cross into the 2nd row because I have the Travall dog barrier. I would consider the Mantec one, but for $350 plus tax and shipping... I just don't think I would be using it often enough to justify that high of a cost. It almost looks overbuilt.

link for Mantec
https://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=RNA1128&type=0&eq=

tdg1509_1.jpg

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 7825
has the added benefit of just looking cool. It makes me think of the built-in roof netting on the older Discos.

I've looked at buying the roof netting map holders that the D2 has in the 2nd row to install in the 2nd row of the 4. My concern is what is behind the fabric up there and how would I anchor it properly? I miss that and I also miss the front seat map holders above the vanity mirrors. Those would be a little bit harder to install and keep the factory look;)

DSC00618.jpg

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That rigid one costs $350... on sale.

Ouch. Someone is just begging for some competition. That's crazy. I could take my dog's old crate and probably come up with a DIY alternative to that.

I agree with the nice look and utility of the older Disco's map holders. But I don't want to punch any holes in my headliner, either.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. Thanks for the share.

The net from my LR4 is still wrapped up new in packaging... sitting on top of the one from my LR3 that was also never used! :)

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great idea! Even if only for the kids to stash their jackets (so they don't keep ending up on the floor) trip it's a great use of space. Love these boxy trucks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut