cdl lever moves but does not engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

discomike

Make sure you change the oil in the t/case if it has in fact been driven locked up for so long.
Mike J.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks discomike:

More questions about the CDL:

When attempting to engage or disengage the lock using a 13mm socket, can you do it from underneath the truck or should you go through the consol?

Can you turn the socket by hand?

If I was looking down at the cdl from above, which way would I turn the socket to lock or unlock?

WIll the bolt that impedes movement of the shifter linkage cause difficulty when trying to move the lever from lock to unlock?

Odd questions, but when you're lying on your back under the truck, it would be nice to know the answers beforehand. Tired of cleaning grease off the keyboard.

Thanks to all for your insights.

D

discomike

You can turn it from under the truck and it will only turn one way to lock and the other way to unlock. Yes it will turn easily witha socket and wrench.
Mike J.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Followed the instructions from the website and I got the cdl unlocked!!!

I drove it locked for 1200 miles and didn't know it. I'm sure that my rear differential gears (broken teeth on the gears and whirring noise) got screwed up because of this. That's been fixed too and now I'm ready for the 12 inches of snow they say is coming to Chicago this weekend.

CDL shifter linkage is messed up but I can deal with that a lot easier than I could a trashed transfer case or driveshafts.

Thanks to all for your help!

D

discomike

That was a painful lesson. So don't forget to change the t/case fluid and get the CDL warning light fixed.
Take care,
Mike J.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is great... glad you could get it unlocked, I imagine the lever is just bent somewhere in the middle... that is just trial and error... That really is a great site.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil is changed.

Now that I am driving with the CDL unlocked, I notice a big change in handling and MPG (about 50% better).

Great Great site!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72