Center differential only disengages in reverse,then...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamo62

Reaction score
i recently acquired a 2004 d2 (135,000m) with a driveline vibration issue from 25-30mph and up. I accepted the truck as payment for a debt which most likely would never have been paid otherwise,so I figured what the heck...My first step was to remove the front driveshaft and swap it with the (rebuilt) shaft on my other rover, a 2002. The 2002 ran smooth with the shaft from the 2004, and the 2004 still had the same vibe with my rebuilt shaft. Then I locked the diff and ran the truck on the rear shaft only,and the vibe disappeared.I ran the truck into town and back, roughly 40 miles or so, and tried to unlock the diff, but it was stuck. After some flailing around driving in reverse, etc, I can get the diff to unlock, but only in reverse. When I try to go into park with the diff unlocked (from reverse), there is a buzzing/gear-grinding? noise coming from somewhere (t-case or diff lock). I reengage the diff lock, and no such noises, truck runs and sounds normal. This noise only happens when I try to put it into park with the diff lock disengaged, no other time. I did change the fluids all around when I got the truck (oil,steering,diffs,tcase,tranny,etc,) and didn't see any signs of wear anywhere, no metal shavings or pieces, etc,checked all the mounts (fine) and the truck sounds and feels basically fine otherwise, and hasn't had any problems going into park for me or the guy I got it from (he had it for 2 years or so, with the vibration the whole time, apparently). I did notice, when I was changing the tranny fluid/filter, that the tranny looked super-clean, as though it had been replaced, and the telltale signs of a thrown front shaft (big dent right in front of tcase). I figure the driveshaft incident may have caused other damage that could be causing the vibration, but right now, I'm more worried about this difflock/tcase noise, maybe something to do with backlash...?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like your issue is the transfer case. I am betting there was damage and when you locked it into diff lock (which is in the T-Case) it may be an issue getting it back out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut