Centerline wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

RadRocker

So I read that the Kalahari D2 has centerline wheels. I looked on centerline for similar wheels and I found nothing. Where would you find wheels like that? Could you get them for a D1?

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Those are actually Trail Ready beadlocks, found at Trailready.com

They are roughly $295 a wheel and may be illegal in your state, check your laws for beadlock rules.

Justin

R

RadRocker

It looks like they are aluminum with a powder-coated inside? What do you think?

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
They are a two piece wheel.

The black wheel is a powdercoated steel wheel while the aluminum ring bolts on the outside and act as a clamp to hold the tire on the rim at extreme low pressures. They also prevent the tire from slipping while in use and keep big items such as rocks from pressing the tire off the bead at low pressure.

The outter ring is aluminum

All this can be found at trailready.com :tongue:

Justin

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rad Rocker said:
Why would they be illegal?
The beadlocks don't allow the sidewall to "leave" the wheel (this is great for airing down for better traction/crawl-ability when off-road). The laws on beadlocks vary from state-to-state (from what I understand). I am sure there is a better explanation why they may be illegal, but I don't know any more than this.
:cool:

Last edited:

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure why they're illegal in some states -- in Wisconsin, for example, there's nothing making them illegal. That's all well and good, but you can't drive in a state where they're illegal. Lemme see what I can find (slow morning), maybe there's some explanation somewhere...

Andy

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From www.high-impact.net, which makes beadlocks:

Are Beadlocks legal on the street?
NO beadlock wheel is DOT approved. Including the military Hummer wheel. (The military is exempt from such nonsense). Some of the better ones are certainly well built and obviously stronger than most OEM wheels.

Ours balance up and drive just fine. We have driven them from California to Colorado and Utah and back. We have had no problems. As for the strict definition "are they legal?" this is a question for a lawyer. I dunno. I hear lots of opinions, they don’t all agree. Many people use them on the street. The DOT is a federal organization. Different states may have to be safer and stronger than factory DOT wheels. The problem is that the DOT has never written a specification for them to comply with, so they cannot "rubber stamp" them. Different states have different laws on whether you are required to comply with DOT approval, and on what parts.
So, if an individual state has wheel standards at or exceeding the USDOT, beadlocks are illegal. If not, they're legal. But no explanation yet for why.

More information as I find it. :biggrin:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did quick search too - there seems to be lots of debates, but no proof that they are legal or illegal to use on street in general. I guess easiest way is to just phone up your local dot office and ask them (or better yet get them write it on bit of paper) if you feel like be safe.

Only thing to make sure - check that you getting real beadloc wheels and not street beadloc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72