Change out differential and transfer case fluids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front diff is the biggest pain the ass compared to the others because you need to take the front skid plate off.

IMG_2144-L.jpg

The drain hole is front and center once the plate is removed.

IMG_2146-L.jpg

I found the same gunk on the front drain plug.
IMG_2148-L.jpg

To get the best access to the fill hole I removed the drivers front wheel. It made it much easier to fill the diff.

IMG_2151-L.jpg

It took just under 1 litter.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a great write up. One of the best I have seen on this forum. I will look forward to this process in 20k miles.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, RBA!

I will definitely come back to this when I get to that mileage!

The tires still look great! ;-)

Regards, David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One important note regarding front and rear differentials drain and fill procedure (as I didn't see it mentioned in the above tutorial) is that the fill plug is NOT to be used as "level indicator". If you fill either diffs up to the fill plug, you are overfilling them and could do more damage than good. In general, unless you suspect a leak, after draining the old fluid you should carefully measure it and only refill the diff with that same quantity of fresh fluid, no more, no less.

The fill plug of the transfer case on the other hand, does double duty as the fill level, so it's easier to refill as you keep filling until fluid starts overflowing from the fill plug hole.

Last edited:

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto perhaps you know the answer to this question. Do the LR4 differencials have breather valves?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they do (on top of each carrier. Breather tubes are connected to the valves and routed high under the body, to prevent water from entering the differentials when wading.)

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good work! I have a 2-post lift at home and will gladly do write ups as I work on things. Unfortunately, my LR4 only has 7500 miles after 13 months, and at that pace it will take a while (hopefully!) before I have to do anything worth writing up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA