Cleaning your Land Rover's A/C Drain Lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lionvt

Reaction score
Here some searching help on a D1

The pictures were a help but it still took me a while to find it. On a 1995 Discovery I, look above the tranny in the transmission tunnel, along the passenger side (right side). I found it easier to view and access by slightly jacking the truck up on jack stands, and crawling underneath via the drivers (left) side. Bring a flashlight.

I only found one ****** though. Are there two on a Disco I?

Last edited:

U.K.

Reaction score
I have an 04 LR Disc I also have very wet carpets in both sides I also have a mist coming out if the vents occasional after reading these posts I finally found both drain ******* but they were totally dry so I'm guessing the problem is in the dash some where....does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this problem without removing the dash

mike123

Reaction score
One wet dirty arm later and clean drain pipes!

Thankyou Slam for the original post. Without the pictures and description I wouldn't have been able to know what I was looking for especially the one on the left side.
rgds, ****

beachrover

Reaction score
AC Drain Lines clogged.

I found that the drain ******* on my 2006 LR3 were hidden behind a plate and unreachable. It was much easier to just pop off the triangular carpet piece on the left side of the passenger foot area. There is clearly visable to drain line. It has an easy to take apart joint with a little handle to help pull it apart. Have a little bowl or cup and a towel to catch the water that will rush out. Then I simply pushed a piece of electrical wire down through the hose until I could see it come out under the vehicle. I also blew it out with my air compressor. I pushed the hose back on, put the carpet back and it has worked fine since. This is much easier, safer and cleaner than going under your car to try to find the hidden *******.

Good luck!

Cleaning Your Land Rover's AC drain lines
Thanks Andy Maier (Moose)

Many people have problems with mist coming out of the vents, and heavy condensation or leaking on the passenger side of their trucks after using the air conditioner. The likely cause of these symptoms is a clogged A/C drain line.

The drain line runs water from the A/C system to the bottom of the truck, which allows condensation from operation of the A/C to drain out of the bottom of the vehicle while it's in motion (it causes the puddle of water people see under cars in the summertime). The drain ****** at the end of the line on Discoveries can easily become clogged, leaving the extra water nowhere else to go. Here's how to clean the ******:

TOOLS NEEDED: None.

TIME NEEDED: 5 minutes at worst.

DIFFICULTY: Can you turn an ignition key? If so, you can do this one.

PROCEDURE:
(1) Get under truck from passenger side;
(2) Look near front (engine) end of transmission -- there is a rubber pyramid-shaped piece without anything else near it (see picture one). This is the drain ******.
(3) To clear a clogged ******, use your finger or a small tool to wiggle the ****** until the mud, dirt, debris, etc. is freed, allowing water to flow out. This water is dirty and may be warm.
(4) Allow water to drain out, attempting to dodge as much as possible.
(5) Check periodically to ensure water flows from the drain line, cleaning as necessary.
(6) Wipe arms off with towel.

HERE ARE PICS:

RRS Blues

Reaction score
2006 rrs

been looking for two days now,....can't find em! i have about an inch of standing water along my rear passenger floorboard underneath the carpet. HELP!

SkiFastBadly

Reaction score
I just spent about 45 minutes under the 03 Disco 2 looking for the drain outlets without luck. Are they in front of, or behind the mud flaps? How far forward or behind? I see some people say they're 'way up there', way up where, in the wheel wells? I had a light under there I searched everywhere. Any coordinates (six inches behind the tire, seven from the edge of the door....) would be extremely appreciated.

Ski

beachrover

Reaction score
Ski,

Forget climbing under your car to look for some hidden rubber ******. The simple way to unclog the ac drain line is go to the passenger side of your car. Look at the triangle shaped pice of carpet on the left side of the passenger foot area. Remove that carpet piece, it has 2 snaps and you will see the black rubber drain line about 5/8 of an inch wide. There is a coupling that pulls apart easily. Have a bowl and a towel to catch the water(if your reading this your floor is probably already soaked though) I push a piece of electrical wire down through the tube, it flushes out, i also blow it out with my compressor and put it back together. If you want to know where those ******* are look under the car when you have the wire pushed through the pipe and you will see where it is for the future. I have posted pics previously so search for my name if you want to see them. Good Luck

SkiFastBadly

Reaction score
Ski,

Forget climbing under your car to look for some hidden rubber ******. The simple way to unclog the ac drain line is go to the passenger side of your car. Look at the triangle shaped pice of carpet on the left side of the passenger foot area. Remove that carpet piece, it has 2 snaps and you will see the black rubber drain line about 5/8 of an inch wide. There is a coupling that pulls apart easily. Have a bowl and a towel to catch the water(if your reading this your floor is probably already soaked though) I push a piece of electrical wire down through the tube, it flushes out, i also blow it out with my compressor and put it back together. If you want to know where those ******* are look under the car when you have the wire pushed through the pipe and you will see where it is for the future. I have posted pics previously so search for my name if you want to see them. Good Luck

Brilliant. I'll give that a try. Thanks so much.

SkiFastBadly

Reaction score
Hmmm... I could not find a triangle piece of carpet on the passenger side. You sure that's there for an 03 Disco? There's a cardboard bit on the left top, is that it?

Mexican_Defender

Reaction score
Drain hole found!

I have a 2012 Defender 110, and after about hour and a half I finally was able to locate the drain holes. It did take some imagination for me to finally locate them. In my case, they are located at the very top of the transmission tunnel right about where the bell housing bolts to the engine, do bare in mind that they are out of sight. My drain valve felt like the "Duck Bills" other posts refer to. Either way, the posts were of great help and an answer to my problem. Thanks guys and keep it up!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick