Code Errors: 2003 Range Rover HSE (BMW)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boneprone

Reaction score
RangeRover HSE 2003. Just had transmission rebuilt and I put in a new battery (myself) after the car has been in storage for over 2 years outside untouched.

Not sure if it's a computer issue but getting a code "trans fail safe" when engine is cold at startup. This occurs maybe 25% of the time. The fix I do is restarting the car and all is good until the next day.

Took it back to the transmission shop and they said the actual transmission is fine, the codes were very strange to them and they suggested a shop down the road who was familar with rovers but they too could not dignose the issue. They also concluded the transmission was fine but perhaps the code was from poor connections in the gear shift handle from water or the long storage process. They tested the battery as that has also been said to be an issue with some rover owners, a low battery voltage can also cause coding but that also appears to be fine.

Another issue which may or may not be related is the car radio/navigation system is a blank screen. Powers up but doesn't operate. I've changed all fuses and still doesn't work. I assumed the new battery I installed blew something but even with the new fuses same issue and not working.

What I have found is that if I take out fuse #8 and or fuse #49 (on board computer and monitor fuses) the "trans fail safe" is cured! But again my computer/radio issue remains..

This all seems like an electrical headache and can't seem to find anyone to shed some light on what it may be. My experience with the dealership has been a bad one to say the least with the replace first ask questions later highly overpriced mentality. But I'm out of options at the moment.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If I were to guess I would say the BECM is having some issues. I would say find a shop that has the Land Rover computer and plug it in to run a diagnostics.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA