Coolant Leak Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
A NOTE FROM ONE OF THE MODERATORS:

This thread was originally part of another thread about alternators. We've managed to twist it into a thread about RoverChic(Melissa)'s apparent leak of coolant, so I made some of the posts into a new thread dedicated to the leak.

Andy (Moose)

Thank you that is the cheapest I have seen them.. My head hurts today. The leak is back on the coolant. I walked out from the spa and there it was again that lovely green stuff..... I just do not know anymore.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is still overflow. How is the coolant level?

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa, did you check coolant level when engine is cold? it should be up to that cross-shaped marking thing. If its higher - then overflow theory is totally correct.

If its lower and you still will see puddle (in that order. :) no other one) - then there probably loose clamp on one of cooling hooses. Stock clamps known to be pretty crappy, and most people replacing them at some point.

And dont get that head get to you :) Sit back, relax and read good book, sipping on some decent tea. Sometime thats more important than getting truck back in shap ASAP.

Russians got saying "morning is wiser than evening". Meaning - relax, let it go for the rest of day and check back tomorrow :)

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
OK --Just checked out the coolant level cold. It is right @ the cross thing.. Meaning that I can see the cross thing barely. Yes you are right Serg. I am going to go to the pool :bath: (that was the closest smiley I could find for water) ....I just do not understand why it is dripping from under the engine near the trans?? WEIRD.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its at the cross - then its simple overflow and dont you worry :)

Reason why is b/c its going on frame and inside frame and then dripping via holes. And also when you driving - air dragging drops back - towards t-case.. Same reason why its breathtaking to find oil leaks by looking at spots.. :)

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Mike--I cant find my cell phone..SH**!!! Here is a pic of the tank cold. I called my uncle about the problem .. He made me repeat after him: " I told u not to BUY a LR until you were done with school.. They are a maintenance/mechanical nightmare"... "Furthermore, they will leak everything known to man". I do not think I will be calling him again.. I will rely solely on the help from you EXPERT Land Rover Guru's.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
PIC Of the Tank: That was some cool stuff.. Who ever came in and changed the post ...

Attachments

• Cnv0145.jpg
    Cnv0145.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, now that we have our own thread :biggrin: :

Now that you're at home (I assume), take a picture and post it in a couple more hours or so, so we can see if there's any real leak there. I remember seeing a pic from yesterday showing an awful lot of fluid above that cross thingy, so maybe yer just throwing excess fluid out. The couple of hours will give you time to check the clamps -- try drying the clamp ends of the hoses and wait to see if any fluid comes out of there, which would tell you there's a leak in the clamp....try to be methodical and scientific in this, and you can locate the leak (if there is one) pretty easily...

'course, you'll have to let the truck sit for a while for the above to be of any help...

Andy

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the resivoir cap itself is bad, allowing fluid to leak? I know with other vehicles, the radiator cap will need replacing at some time or another. The same might be true with LR's????? Just a thought.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV