coolant leaking in LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a LR4 a year ago, and found some leaking, and get it fixed by replacing the water pump (notorious one)
the old post is here

http://www.landroverworld.org/threads/lr4-hse-coolant-weird-question.28165/

today, I got a coolant level low warning again, checked the reservoir it is below the mark both when cold and hot, barely empty.

Driving for about 10 miles both highway and stop-n-go, watched the water temp carefully, there is no overheat warning for engine

I am now confused what kind of leak it is that it took a year to empty the reservoir

Thanks

Last edited:

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have topped up all of our cars (Saab, LR3, RR, and former DII) that use Dexcool many times. I have pressure tested several times, sometimes there IS a leak and sometimes there is not. I have no idea where the stuff goes - it drives me crazy everytime I see one of the vehicles get low. I usually top it up to the mark and watch the level, if it is stable for a month, I don't worry about it. If it is measurably lower in a month, I investiagte further.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have topped up all of our cars (Saab, LR3, RR, and former DII) that use Dexcool many times. I have pressure tested several times, sometimes there IS a leak and sometimes there is not. I have no idea where the stuff goes - it drives me crazy everytime I see one of the vehicles get low. I usually top it up to the mark and watch the level, if it is stable for a month, I don't worry about it. If it is measurably lower in a month, I investiagte further.

have you tried or even heard about using fluorescent to identify where the leaking point could be?

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pump went (under the TSB) this year and I had a low coolant warning, but never went overtemp. It was a slow leak. You could smell coolant when you opened the hood, but I never saw drips on my driveway. LR mechanic said he could spot the residue around the pump. Someone else might have better pics of this common issue.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pump went (under the TSB) this year and I had a low coolant warning, but never went overtemp. It was a slow leak. You could smell coolant when you opened the hood, but I never saw drips on my driveway. LR mechanic said he could spot the residue around the pump. Someone else might have better pics of this common issue.

I replaced the pump last year, but I have never smelled it (maybe my nose dull?)
any idea about how to spot the residue ourselves?

thanks

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can add a dye to the coolant and use a UV light to see where drips may be originating. You can pressure test with the engine off and cold, which makes it easier to poke around with your fingers in places. The dye would need to run through the system with the engine running, although you could then let it cool down and look for traces, or pressure test it after using the dye if you wanted.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can add a dye to the coolant and use a UV light to see where drips may be originating.

care to point out which dye is safe to coolant? do not want to mess up with overheating

thanks

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That I do not know. I would assume (like with an AC system), that dyes could have some long term impact to the coolant properties, so I would just plan on flushing it out and adding new coolant once the issue is found and repaired. It's not highly expensive stuff.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72