Cooper Zeon LTZ Off-Road tires on Stock 19" Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahhh...I get it. A private party used salt, not the CHP or Caltrans, etc. I have been going to Big Bear during the winter for the last few years (as my kids got old enough to ski...on man made snow). I don't think I have ever needed a 4WD vehicle, there has been so little snow. I am in the market for for new tires, but so far am too cheap to get 18 rims (or deal with deflating tires, etc). Snow rated tires are certainly not a requirement if history is any indication of what I might need!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No kidding, it's sad and scary to think about how little water we got this year. I saw more snow in Death Valley - of all places! - last winter.

Speaking of Big Bear, any of you SoCal locals joining SCLR for the annual Rover Rendezvous on September 25-28? I'll be there, as a matter of fact I am leading a trail on Sunday (an easy one...)

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick note on the Goodyear DuraTrac. So far so good.
Really quiet altogether, even though there was a perceptible hum during the first 100 or 200 miles in the city.
Mine are 265/65R18 but you can now easily find 255/55R19 and they are severe weather rated (snow flake and mountain symbol). They have good reviews on snow and ice and based on the drastic drop in mpg (about 3 or 4 mpg less) and the siping their grip in winter is going to be fantastic. I can't wait ;)

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3-4mpg less.... I wonder how much of that is the tire type vs going to a larger size. The range already sucks on LR4 :)

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3-4mpg less.... I wonder how much of that is the tire type vs going to a larger size. The range already sucks on LR4 :)

Nah it's not the width. I only went from 255 to 265. 10mm don't really count. The added grip and siping is where it's at. Let's say it's only 2.5-3mpg ;)

brokenneckcp

Reaction score
Looking for New Tires.... Again

Just a quick note on the Goodyear DuraTrac. So far so good.
Really quiet altogether, even though there was a perceptible hum during the first 100 or 200 miles in the city.
Mine are 265/65R18 but you can now easily find 255/55R19 and they are severe weather rated (snow flake and mountain symbol). They have good reviews on snow and ice and based on the drastic drop in mpg (about 3 or 4 mpg less) and the siping their grip in winter is going to be fantastic. I can't wait ;)

How have these been for you? How much highway driving versus offroading do you do?

brokenneckcp

Reaction score
Regarding the Cooper LTZs... after a year or more, would anyone go with these tires again? How many have you switched tires (manufactures, type, size) multiple times, and who has repeatedly gone with the same tire? Reason I ask is because I'm due for a new set, this will be my third set overall, on my 2011 LR4 after 25,000 miles on Pirelli Scorpion Verdes.

Last edited:

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done close to 30K miles on the Cooper LTZ's and they been fine. I'm considering buying them again when I need new tires...but that won't be for another ~ 10K miles.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have about 18k on the Cooper LTZ's. When I was shopping for them, I was surprised to see reviews suggesting they weren't good in snow (here and elsewhere). Coming from the Conti OEM's, I feel like I'm driving a snow plow now - no issues whatsoever, including trips up to the ski mountains in the Northeast. Handling is also good in both dry and rainy conditions. The treads still look pretty new, so I'm guessing I'll get more than the 35k I got on the OEM tires (which seemed to be pretty good).

In short, I'd certainly consider buying the Coopers again. The other tire I strongly considered was the Michelin latitudes (which is probably quieter and smoother riding, but likely not as good in snow). In the end, I wanted good snow handling (without going to a dedicated snow tire), plus something that could still handle light off-roading duties.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV