cost to replace air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjaskuls

Reaction score
Does anyone have a idea how much it costs to replace the air suspension system?
I've heard some people are putting in coil suspension if the air system fails, Does this make sense?
also how long does the suspension usually last? in either years or distance. (I rarely use mine pretty much at normal ride height 99% of the time if that helps.)
Currently my 2005 LR3 SE has just under 86000km or 52000miles.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen reports (but not part numbers yet) that the FORD explorer/expedition with air suspension uses the exact same compressor and bags. prices for the FORD sourced parts are up to 66% cheaper than same LR part. That said, Im not sure of the exact price of either but I would certainly investigate it further if I was in the market for replacement parts or even an extended warranty. We should have a sticky thread with all alternative sourced parts, part numbers, and price differences.

Trynian

Reaction score
I've heard some people are putting in coil suspension if the air system fails, Does this make sense?
also how long does the suspension usually last? in either years or distance. (I rarely use mine pretty much at normal ride height 99% of the time if that helps.)

I have not heard of anyone yet that replaced the air suspension with springs. There were some early 05 spring models released and I think some European police models with springs.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Springs in general have an approximate life span of 10years. Typical coil or leaf springs will "sag" causing the vehical to handle differently and ride lower. Air springs seem to have the same approximate life span of 10 years too the only difference is they get holes and become worthless. You may not "use" your suspension in the sense of ride height but everytime you get in and out or load it up the computer is making adjustments to the height of the system. Even at 600USD for a comp and $400 for an air spring it would still be cheaper to repair the system rather then do an entire replacement. (I think I once saw a "kit" with all mechanical peices you would need for $2500!!! And after that you would have to find a way to make it work with the computers. (Columbia rovers in Portland, OR has a kit they would like do on an LR3 but haven't done so as of yet).

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically, you currently can't convert the LR3 to springs unless it is a factory springer. There are a couple dozen in the county set up this way, many more in places like the middle east, Australia, and parts of UK. The issue is purely electronic, not mechanical.

FWIW, I have not heard of anyone "wearing out" the air springs on the LR3/RRS, and know of MANY that are way over 100,000 miles and going strong.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a stronger compressor available that will swap into the system seamlessly? Seems that's a common part that fails.

J.D.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus, the air suspension (with its ability to raise if high centered to clear an obstacle as well as adjust for leveling and ride quality) is one of the main advantages of the LR3. I would never want to change mine over to springs. I have had absolutely no reliability problems in over 5 years with mine.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe im the only one whos had almost the whole air suspension setup replaced...

leaks out the ass, and a bad compressor.. all recently replaced within the passed 6 months.

Each new airshock complete assembly cost me about $800 at dealer to replace. Compressor was like $1200. They also put in almost all new lines... lots of leaks found, 2 faulty ride height sensors... etc..

Luckily I only paid for 1 $800ish new air shock , the rest I had gotten right after i bought the extended warranty.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA