CPO, worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying an 06 or 07. Is buying a CPO through the dealer worth the extra cash it will cost as opposed to buying non-CPO? Also has anyone had success in buying a used LR3 from the dealer under their sticker price? Thanks

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 2006 SE last December from a LR dealer. This was a non CPO with 32K on the clock and a year left on the factory bumper to bumper warranty (expiring next month). The dealer had it stickered at $25,900 and I paid $22,000. They also included a 100K powertrain warranty. I have put approx 9,000 miles on it since purchased with exactly zero problems or issues. I don't know this from experience but I have heard that often times the items that are supposed to be done for CPO are not always done. Good luck!

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems the main advantage of CPO is new tires and brakes and an extra 1 year 12k miles warranty.

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally i dont think it is worth it. My wife and I bought our used 06 with roughly 24K miles on it in middle to late 2008. We looked at dealerships and other places and decided to buy one from www.texascarsdirect.com. There prices were way below what the dealership was willing to sell theres for. They buy vehicles off 2 year leases. A buddy of mine told me about them. It was the easiest car buying experience I have ever had.

We had 2 years left on the warranty (which is now expired), had really no major issues that were fixed under warranty. Just little things. I think we paid like 26 or 27K for it back then. Dealership was well into the 35's + and werent very lenient on negotiating. Love the LR3, always get complements on it when out with friends. Just wish my wife would let me take it offroad more often. She tells me thats why she let me buy a 4x4 pickup...for the offroading and deer lease fun.

GWDRoverTX

Reaction score
I will second the opinion on the LR dealers being overpriced. I just bought a one owner lease return 2007 LR3 SE with 42,500 miles, V8, bi-xenon, front park distance control, rear parking aid, phone integration system, sirius radio, cold climate, wood dash for about $27,000. It was at a non-LR dealer and was originally priced at $29,000. Same truck was around $32,000 + at the local Dallas area LR dealers.
I will also second NickLR3HSE's recommendation on www.texascarsdirect.com. I would have bought from them if they had the right LR3 in stock. They specialize in MB, Jaguar, and LR lease returns, usually still under factory warranty, and are very reasonably priced. I have had a friend purchase more than one Jaguar there and was completely satisfied.
By the way, this is my first LR vehicle and I am really loving it!!! But I do I intend to purchase the Ford ESP or EasyCare extended warranty before the LR warranty expires just for peace of mind.

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I have been to that site. I'm not too far from Dallas and they do seem to have great prices. what kind of cost are you looking at for the ESP warranty?

GWDRoverTX

Reaction score
I'm trying to get clarification on how old your vehicle can be to buy the Ford ESP. Their FAQ section says it has to be less that 3 yrs/36,000 miles. Another section of the website says as long as the factory warranty has not expired. I believe for my LR3 their PremiumCare 7 yr/100,000 mile warranty would be around $3,500. I am also checking out EasyCare for their plans. Texascarsdirect offers their warranties when you buy from them.

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get clarification on how old your vehicle can be to buy the Ford ESP. Their FAQ section says it has to be less that 3 yrs/36,000 miles. Another section of the website says as long as the factory warranty has not expired. I believe for my LR3 their PremiumCare 7 yr/100,000 mile warranty would be around $3,500. I am also checking out EasyCare for their plans. Texascarsdirect offers their warranties when you buy from them.

Before our warranty ended i thought about purchasing the esp warranty from Ford, but it states in the policy the time and mileage begins when you the vehicle was originally purchased. So if you buy the 5 or 7 year /100K mile warranty, you really are only getting 1 or 3 years worth past the manufacturers warranty.

I personally dont think the warranty is worth it, its roughly 3500 or more if you get the 7 yr / 100K . I can pretty much fix anything on this rig for that. If nothing breaks then i just kept 3500 in my pocket. Ill take my chances, we have yet to have anything major go out on our 06.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the ford esp 3 year extension for my '05 HSE. Paid for itself in the first 12 months. If I recall I paid $1,900 for the 3 extra years of coverage which was half off from what LR wanted for their extended coverage.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This really depends on the car itself. And all CPO's are not equal. We did buy a CPO kinda by default. We looked at two nearly identical CPO rigs, one from another dealer and they were not prepped the same. The one we bought was done MUCH better. The other had foam exposed on one of the seats because the hole in the leather was too big or something. That would have been fixed with the dealer we bought ours from. There were other issues as well.

I would buy another CPO rig tho for piece of mind and the extra warranty. We also got an additional extended warranty as well, which we have already used and probably paid for itself by 40% so far.

Take a look at the wear and tear on the rig you want to buy. If it looks like it was very well kept, you might be ok without warranty. If not, then I would get it. Also you can call LR corporate and give them a VIN and they can tell if it's had it's regular service.

J.D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV