D2 coil issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evansjoem

Reaction score
if you replaced the coil packs yourself, i'm probably giving you info you already know. sorry if that's the case.

when you replaced them, did you take off the intake manifold? (yes, contrary to popular belief you CAN do it w/o removing the manifold. i've done it on mine. it ain't easy. you have to remove the packs from the bracket first) did you remove the bracket that holds the two packs? i'm asking this for a reason.

1,4,6,7 are all on the same pack. if they're ALL misfiring, but nothing on the other pack is misfiring, swap one wire from each pack. that'll tell you if it's wires or the pack. i'm not sure i agree with the ecm idea (or the fuses) i suppose it's possible, but like they say, when you hear hoof beats, think horses. not zebras. if it's a fuse, then the fuse isn't the problem, it's a symptom.

my guess is that you damaged the primary connection on that pack. easy to do when you're pulling that manifold. also, it's damn near impossible to remove the manifold without damaging the main vacuum you see above the intake over by the throttle body.

if you're ambitious and plan to keep the car for a while, here's a suggestion. extend all the wires (primary and secondary) and move the coil packs. there's a blank spot on the firewall in front of the passenger side that's where they should have put them to begin with.
I did mine without removing anything. I just did bottom coil wires first then top coil wires. 25min job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

washburn1919

Reaction score
yeah. the wires can be done w/o removing anything, but the packs themselves are bolted into a bracket which is under the edge of the manifold. the bolts that hold the packs onto the bracket face the firewall AND the towers make it tough to turn a wrench or ratchet. it can be done though. and in less time than the manifold (i'm not counting the extra time for all the stuff you'll break removing the manifold)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72