Disabling 2014 ECO Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they just give the people what they want, it wouldn't be an issue at all. Now how hard is that? And as for my opinion on the system, its stupid and awful :argh:

How hard is that? First you have to get everyone to agree on what they want. :biggrin: Or provide a thousand options. This particular item is far down the list of things I even care about. I would much rather have then address "issues" (mine, of course) like being able to position the steering wheel so I can see the instrument panel when I have the seat raised up in they "command seating" position. Or being able to use the paddle shifters when in D mode. Or even better yet, paddle shifters that remain in the 9:00 and 3:00 position when I am in manual sport mode slaloming though trees in uneven terrain. Or ...

Or I can just let it go and enjoy driving this truck - which is what I have done. And I do. :smile:

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard is that? First you have to get everyone to agree on what they want. :biggrin: Or provide a thousand options. This particular item is far down the list of things I even care about. I would much rather have then address "issues" (mine, of course) like being able to position the steering wheel so I can see the instrument panel when I have the seat raised up in they "command seating" position. Or being able to use the paddle shifters when in D mode. Or even better yet, paddle shifters that remain in the 9:00 and 3:00 position when I am in manual sport mode slaloming though trees in uneven terrain. Or ...

Or I can just let it go and enjoy driving this truck - which is what I have done. And I do. :smile:

No, you just took it to a different level. One that isn't necessary. Just keep it simple. Give the button memory. That way, everyone gets what they want. Turn it off and it stays off. Or leave it on if you like. Turn it on and off at will too if you so fancy. Just a push of a button. See? Easy.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you just took it to a different level. One that isn't necessary. Just keep it simple. Give the button memory. That way, everyone gets what they want. Turn it off and it stays off. Or leave it on if you like. Turn it on and off at will too if you so fancy. Just a push of a button. See? Easy.

Yes. That would work well. Sometimes I think they make capabilities like this (and safety related "features") so hard to disable because they are caving to, or trying to placate, the regulators and lawyers. Just guessing, but... Maybe I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt - not wanting to think they did it because 1) they were lazy or 2) they just want to inconvenience us. Still, I do agree with you that giving us the option (even if it requires going into Setup) to disable permanently seem reasonable.

BTW, I really like to be able to do the same thing with the Parking Assist warnings! Every time I go into neutral the thing starts blinking and beeping like a freaking slot machine in Vegas!

And, yes, I have an IIDTool and, no, I haven't taken the time to go in an turn that stuff off. But I guess it is about time...

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. That would work well. Sometimes I think they make capabilities like this (and safety related "features") so hard to disable because they are caving to, or trying to placate, the regulators and lawyers. Just guessing, but... Maybe I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt - not wanting to think they did it because 1) they were lazy or 2) they just want to inconvenience us. Still, I do agree with you that giving us the option (even if it requires going into Setup) to disable permanently seem reasonable.

BTW, I really like to be able to do the same thing with the Parking Assist warnings! Every time I go into neutral the thing starts blinking and beeping like a freaking slot machine in Vegas!

And, yes, I have an IIDTool and, no, I haven't taken the time to go in an turn that stuff off. But I guess it is about time...

Yes I think a lot of it is legal stuff. I have a 2013 Rubicon as well and like many cars I've noticed, turning the traction control off doesn't actually turn it all the way off. It only adjust the limits at which it steps in. Very very annoying when trying to make way through slippery stuff like snow and mud. On my Corvette, you can choose which level of nannies to allow or absolutely non at all. I would like to see that on all vehicles, especially the ones geared toward special or higher performance such as ours.

We are paying good money for these things, we shouldn't have to put up with stupid crap like that. But that is the world we've come to create, more nannies, more liability, thus less control, less responsibility and less freedom. Yet one more reason to love my old school hot rods.

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turning off DSC in the LR4 doesn't completely turn off Traction Control, either.

Correct. I was including my Jeep as another example. I feel like that has pretty much become the norm these days across the board.

bcocheran

Reaction score
I've used ECO mode for 2k miles, and well I actually like it. I feel a lot of the hate is overblown.

- it's a very smooth and fast startup (no thud, no extra 1 second delay).

- it actually feels good to sit there at a stop light with your engine off, while everyone else is still running.
When you think about it, there is no reason for your engine to be running at that moment so why not turn it off.

This change by LR and others has really perturbed the masses, don't forget change is often progress!

You may love it and and yours may well work better than mine, but I HATE it!! it sucks! I tell everyone how ****** I am that I purchased a $70,000 car that dies at every stop light!

I flew into Dallas and rented a cheap Dodge Dart. I called my business partner and (we both bought LR4's) and told him how well my cheap rental did at stop signs and stop lights!

Mine is far from smooth. On some start/stops it is fine. At others, it sounds like things are grinding on the start up or acts like someone scared it and it "lurches" to a start...

I hate this feature and call Land Rover once a month to tell them just how much it sucks! I am all for them putting whatever features on their vehicles they wish, but there should be an option to turn it ON at every start up, not OFF!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does eco stop/ start is active when the truck is put in a low range?
I would not like my engine being off when off roading.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does eco stop/ start is active when the truck is put in a low range?
I would not like my engine being off when off roding.

Really good question. I don't remember that every happening and I've done a fair bit of driving in low range or, for that matter, when driving off road. I haven't thought about it but I can't imagine it happening without me noticing. I don't do anything to turn it off when I'm off-road.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV