Disabling 2014 ECO Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which mount location did you go with, the higher one closer to the steering wheel and vent, or the lower one kind of in the passenger knee area? I have a decent CD-slot-mounted solution but would love something closer to my line of sight when referring to maps. Just don't want it to interfere with vent output too much (a little bit of air on a hot phone might not be a bad thing, though).

I bought and utilize both and use the magnetic mount. I have 2 phones, a work and personal. Whichever one I am actively using goes by the steering wheel, the other is on the lower mount. Great thing about the LR4 is I can stream music from one phone (use the company data for my music) and connect the other phone for calls, simultaneously. Or, when my wife is in the car she uses the lower mount for her phone. The magnet I use is solid enough that when I go offroad the phone stays put.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought and utilize both and use the magnetic mount.

I didn't know Proclip made a magnetic device holder, or are you using a hybrid system where you attached a magnet to the Proclip mounting base and a disc to your phone? That's smart if so. Hadn't thought of that approach. The mounting base is only about $30 and magnetic holders are all over AMZ for a few bucks. Hmm. My other concern was whether the steering wheel would block the phone screen view but with a magnet you could position it on the outboard side of the mounting base to prevent that.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know Proclip made a magnetic device holder, or are you using a hybrid system where you attached a magnet to the Proclip mounting base and a disc to your phone? That's smart if so. Hadn't thought of that approach. The mounting base is only about $30 and magnetic holders are all over AMZ for a few bucks. Hmm. My other concern was whether the steering wheel would block the phone screen view but with a magnet you could position it on the outboard side of the mounting base to prevent that.

I bought the magnets from Amazon, those plates that are on the back of the phone could've went on the inside of the case, but i wanted the most secure fit. I also placed the magnets in the position where I could clearly see the screen around my steering wheel.

MVIMG_20180615_093009.jpg

MVIMG_20180615_092921.jpg

MVIMG_20180615_092853.jpg

DavidSG

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the eco off amber warning light (shown in the pic) is supposed to stay on when you hit the eco button to disable start-stop? Not talking about permanently disabling - my warning light stays on after I disable via the button. I’ve got a 2016.

19B11597-3211-4E75-A8DE-4B8C702EFAB6.jpeg

DavidSG

Reaction score
^ Ok thanks. My SA at the dealership didn’t think that was normal. Guess I’ll just have to get used to it.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On second thought, I'm not sure...my eco mode "broke" a while ago. The system never engaged and the light was always off (it was nice). Only recently the amber light was going on/off intermittently. The dealer "fixed" it by replacing the small auxiliary battery and now it works as it should, which is disappointing. I'll have to resume my quest to disable.

DavidSG

Reaction score
Any other ‘14 - ‘16 owners out there that can comment if that warning light stays on when you hit the eco button to disable start-stop? Car is back at the dealer today for some other warranty repair stuff and they seem determined to fix this.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A piece of black electrical tape will fix it in 1 second for less than $.01. An old VW trick lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV