Disco 2003 M and S light flashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pparnian

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Once in a while my transmission M and S light start flashing. If I turn off the card it resets. One time based on my search in wet weather I cleaned up the wire going to transmission and solved the issue. It started again, infrequently but I am wondering if something major is an issue. Drive fine and not in wet conditions. Any advise would be appreciated.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Any electrical oddities with a rover always have the battery tested.

pparnian

Reaction score
Any electrical oddities with a rover always have the battery tested.

Thanks Joey - yes new Battery - it does not really impact the driving at all
It has happened twice in 2 months - just an odd event - last time a year ago, I research they said there is that wire going to the transmission - and sometimes it gets wet - I cleaned it and it was good - This time it was in dry conditions

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
When you say new battery, how new? If you check the voltage before you start it and it is under 13 volts the battery is too low. Also check the fluid level of the transmission.

pparnian

Reaction score
When you say new battery, how new? If you check the voltage before you start it and it is under 13 volts the battery is too low. Also check the fluid level of the transmission.
Thx again Joey

Yes the battery is good

Boy I feel really dumb now - I though the Land Rover transmission was sealed. How do you check the transmission fluid level? This may really sound like a stupid question to you and I apologize - I was reading some posts and they talked about transmission fluid change, that got me thinking that I have not done that at 160K. I service everything on time.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
At 160k miles I am not sure I would change the fluid, but make sure it is full yes. It has been a while since I was under my D2, I sold it a last year. Download the Rave manual in my signature and if I recall Correctly it shows where the bolt is you remove to check if it is full.

evansjoem

Reaction score
Mine did something then alternator went out. Replaced alternator now good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evansjoem

Reaction score
Same thing m+s flashing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Railey

Reaction score
Gearbox fluid level is checked via fill plug on the gearbox (front side Allen bolt). The fluid should have a small trickle flowing out if filled to the correct amount (like dif oil). The M + S flashing could be dirty xyz switch on top of the gearbox. The drain for the aircon unit is in the vicinity and sometimes can foul the switch. Rerouting of the drain tube is a common preventative measure.

Sent

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV