Disco Vs. LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcarr1971

Reaction score
Hmmm, I love my D2 and have no personal experience with the LR3 (yet), but I have wheeled with guys driving them and I have a friend who wheels his LR3 hard at every opportunity. I can only think that the roll-overs as depicted in Mike's image were largely due to driver stupidity. From what I've seen I have to say that they are very impressive in the hands of someone that knows what they're doing.

DSC_0064.jpg

I have no trouble getting my 3 yr old in and out of her car seat in my D2.

So, that said, using the $$$ you provided,price would be a big factor for me. I just don't know that the LR3 would be $18000+ better than the D2. (Note: IMO, you can probably do better than $12k for that '04 D2.) If it wasn't a factor and I was looking to buy a Rover that was only rarely headed off the pavement, then the LR3 would probably be the way I'd go.

Disclaimer: The above isn't to imply that I'd get rid of my D2, I just think I'd like to have a LR3 too :wink:

penguinpwrd

Reaction score
Well, pulled the trigger on the LR3. Take delivery in the morning. I'll post pics when once I have her. Thanks again for all the input!

penguinpwrd

Reaction score
Here's the new toy! Thanks again for all the responses - see you in the LR3 forum. :biggrin:

zl9A9.jpg

Donjames911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now don't ya be raggin' on Disco Mike. He's God's gift to Rover kind, a legend in his own mind.

Actually he is quite knowledgeable. Unfortunately, he believes his superior knowledge gives him the right to be rude to peeps of lesser knowledge. Hey Mike, that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.... :hello:

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: LR3 Vs Disco

Hi Mike;

I think you are right on target - there is simply no way I would take an LR3 on the same trails I would a DI or DII; LR3 has some offroad capability, no doubt about it (after all it is a Land Rover), but so does a RAV 4 and you would have to be loony-tunes to compare a RAV 4 to a Disco in terms off-road capability. Another thing that Solihull lovers need to keep in mind is that, swap out the bodies and the frame/chassis of the Disco is a Defender's! I have spent a lot of time under my Disco and I have to say there is a huge amount of overkill under there (i.e., a lot more than a civilian SUV really needs) but that makes perfect sense too because the Brits use the same frame for their '******' Army land Rovers which have armoured plate on the body. In other words - the Disco chassis/frame has a lot more demanding applications than most owners are even aware of. The LR3 is definetly more 'civilized' in terms of ride and comfort and, as such, for a family SUV it probably makes more sense. You can't have everything in one vehicle as there will always be tradeoffs; personally, I would not trade my Disco for a Defender or any other LR - I just happen to like the trade-offs that make up the Disco (especially on rough BC mountain decommissioned logging roads and trails).,

Wolf

I am not trying to "Slander "the LRE's ability, I am stating the know issues. The original question was which is better, I then asked the obvious question, which was never really answered, what is he planning to use it for.
The LRE has had issues from the 2005 own, which have never been really corrected by Rover, bushings, t/case errors, failing front and rear diffs. These alone will slow most people down if they are looking for a good off road vehicle.
The fact that they don't handle angles as well as a D1 or D2 is important, here again, if some is looking for an off road vehicle
As for the enclosed pictures,yes it has been around for a while. Other dealer, such as Scottsdale East and Fatiron have had the same accidents. How do I know, cause I used to be a Rover service managers and still have connection with many people in the know.
Bottom line, this is not a reworked picture and it does happen.
Not sure of your back ground or off road experience with Rover and the LR3, but there are not too many LR3 owners that will take some of our more challanging trails in Colorado or Moab, that is not to say they are not OK of road in either a stock or semi-modified they are not an equal to a Disco, Defender or Classic.
I will be curious to see what this person is going to use it for and buys and one way or the other hope he is happy with what he buys.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA