Discovery SVX

Discussion in 'LR4' started by namenda, Sep 11, 2017.

1. jettore

jettore Well-Known Member

I don't get the hate for the rotary shift knob. First vehicle i've had with it and I like it, and i've had a lot of cars to compare. I find it's fast and easy to shift with it and don't really see any negatives.

2. Longhorn

Longhorn Full Access Member

It almost looks good....until you see an LR3/4 next to it.

3. PaulLR3

PaulLR3 Full Access Member

I use the command shift feature when driving on the beach. If I feel I'm losing momentum and revs are dropping, I can quickly change to a lower gear. I'm sure I could get used to the steering wheel paddles to do the same thing, but I think a full size shift lever that I can push or pull to change gears is easier.

4. mpinco

mpinco Full Access Member

So now a 5.0L V8 with Ford Explorer styling will cost $90K?

Surfrider77 likes this.
  5. iSurfvilano

iSurfvilano Full Access Member

I've been pretty down on the D5...but in all honesty, outside the unibody design and explorer look, this SVX has everything (mechanically/technologically) I wanted my LR4 to have. Damn it Land Rover...you better make the Defender look good so I can pony up for an SVX version of that.

Surfrider77, Frank8 and Longhorn like this.
  6. Frank8

Frank8 Full Access Member

Well said.

I also don't "get" the design. Driven it a bit - nice with a hint of the same problem I have in most vehicles. I'm very tall, old and creaky and my LR4 fits well. The D5 just doesn't have the interior space as well distributed. As an example, the windscreen slope cuts off the top of my view. It's a nuisance to have to hunch over.

The body just looks wrong to me. Yesterday I drove my LR4 thru some woods and across a rough meadow. Not a difficult thing but the LR just looked right in that environment. The D5 has always struck me as looking out of place off-road. Looks sort of silly. It's more at home in a suburban driveway.

But my personal Land Rover imagery is indelible. It's been just about 50 years since I drove my first one. Across Anatolia from istanbul to the Syrian border. There isn't a vestige of the marque remaining in the D5.

Oh well, another old fart sounding off.

Frank

Surfrider77 likes this.