DIY: Second Row seat handle replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vietec

Reaction score
So this may seem like common sense to you guys, but I'm hoping that this may help someone else out there.

Recently I picked up my '11 LR4, and some things I noticed were broken but didn't mind as they were what I thought would be cheap to fix. In this case, the part was $15 and it took me more time to unwrap the part than it did to install it.

The offending article is this, the second row seat handle:

DSC_1344_zpsp8hglk2u.jpg

Do not ask me how this happened, I only imagine the previous owner dropped something on it or chewed on it. Who knows. Anyhow, I didn't have a thin yet sturdy enough plastic prybar to pry under the handle, so I started by removing the screw in this picture. You can access it by moving the seat to a midpoint position (so it's not latched up or down):

DSC_1345_zpsmlxou7yi.jpg

Next you pull on the side of the assembly that the screw was on, lifting the handle out just slightly, now you can get your fingers under there and pop off the old handle.

DSC_1346_zpsklnvbs1g.jpg

At this point, I elected to go ahead and put the new handle on most of the way, just to ensure I don't somehow lose the lever if the seat were to go all the way into locking position:

DSC_1347_zps4kmbonot.jpg

After that, I replaced the screw I removed, and gave the handle a few good heel-palm-strikes to seat it all the way, and walked into the house mildly disappointed at how easy that was.

DSC_1348_zpsqdpvunm0.jpg

DSC_1349_zpsz4ztgjma.jpg

My next project/write up will be replacing the key fob body, again may seem easy to most of you, but to some it may not be. Sometime in the distant future: 75,000 mile service interval and reset, whenever my wallet has recovered enough to get my own GAP IIDTool.:laugh:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72