Door giving the "woosh" sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

RadRocker

Does anyones door feel very "airy" as if you can never shut it all the way? Especially on the highway? Have you ever fixed it?

R

RadRocker

Is it cheap to fix, or do you need to buy that rubber stuff? Is this common?

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2000 Discovery, driver's side, was really bad when I drove above 70 MPH. The fix that I found was to buy a 2004 Discovery. :biggrin:

I honestly never tried to fix it. On my vehicle, the main cause was that the door seemed to be hanging low (opened and closed too many times?). So I only answered one of your questions - I think that it is common.

D

discomike

Bryce,
So when your door is closed how does it look from the outside, does it look closed, is it hanging or out of alignment with the body??
If it looks OK then it is simply a matter of finding the spot on the weather strip that has lost it shape or contact and building it up.
Many auto parts store sell material that can be added in behind a weather strip to fill it out so it makes good contact and the air noise stops.
Sometimes you litterly have to bend the top of the door frame in a little to reshape it, but this is not something I would recommend that you try.
Good luck and remember it can be corrected.
Mike J.

R

RadRocker

Thanks guys. The door looks pretty good. Is it safe to buy the stuff from autozone, or do I have to get the stuff from the dealer and replace the whole rubber lining?

D

discomike

Depends how bad the leak is. Go out and look at your weather strip molding, do you see any areas where it is flatening out or damaged? Auto parts stores have material you can us to build up a softened molding, and you may still have to buy a new molding from Rover or have a body shop bend or realign your door. It is hard to say without looking at it.
Mike J.

R

RadRocker

The door looks like it is properly aligning, but I have noticed that the strip molding does have a lot of holes! I should have looked their first. Can you fix lining with holes?

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would probably try to find the genuine stuff. I have a gut feeling that it would be difficult to make the lining fit without the genuine parts.

D

discomike

Bryce,
Call me and lets talk. I have repaired some with good results and some you just have to write off.
Cell # 805-896-1550

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just talked to Mike and I am convinced that it is a good idea to try to fix it first with some of that black silicone you can find at ace hardware (I used it to fix my weather strips on the outside of windows when they crack). Then you can use some black electrical tape to tape over it.

If the rips and tears are really bad, you might have to buy a new genuine strip.

GOOD LUCK!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut