Driveline Noise *clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samnt650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY o7 LR3 is having some kind of clunk noise, when I brake hard then accelerate hard. The noise feel like coming under the center of the truck. Is this truck had any known issue with transmission / transfer case /diff mounts? Its difficult to see what moves at the undercarriage.

My truck is wheeled regularly (aka, use as intended...)

To rule out, the noise are NOT from any of the control arms. They are replaced.

Globetrotter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a centre support bearing for the drive shaft that is known to wear and cause noises.
Alternating don't brake and accelerate hard till you find the fault:(

samnt650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not like I dont have enough repair line up for Xmas already. Line this up as another to-do item... I am not getting any drive line vibration but just a clunk. Let hope this wknd I dont have to pull / tow someone out of trouble (yes another off-roading event..)

06L319

Reaction score
Have you checked your rear drive shaft carrier bearing? My 06 had a clunk/feedback in the drive line and the rubber bushing around the carrier bearing was 80% torn.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...anyone know if a new driveline, when purchased, comes with a replacement carrier bearing?

06L319

Reaction score
I believe it does indeed come with the carrier bearing installed. There is a good YouTube video on how to replace the bearing yourself if your so inclined. I however decided just to buy a good condition used LR3/LR4 shaft and the swap was MUCH faster. :) I now have a back up shaft just in case I break one wheeling.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here...I was having a new motor installed on the (locking) rear diff, they had to take the shaft down anyway so I had a new one put in. I was only asking to give myself peace-of-mind that the bearing was refreshed as well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72