Droopy headliner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

slappy

I bought a 96 disco and I noticed a slight headliner drooping. Now I am starting to realize that there is a big problem. Even where the light in the rear ceiling is mounted, the headliner is really drooping bad.

Is there a way to fix the headliner? Is there any way to make it not droop? Any suggestions welcome.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but....

slappy said:
I bought a 96 disco and I noticed a slight headliner drooping. Now I am starting to realize that there is a big problem. Even where the light in the rear ceiling is mounted, the headliner is really drooping bad.

Is there a way to fix the headliner? Is there any way to make it not droop? Any suggestions welcome.
(1) If you're not comfortable with this, take it to an auto detailing shop -- most will reglue the headliner for you, for a cost, of course.

(2) Very carefully remove the headliner (try not to destroy any clips or tear the headliner), and apply some glue.
(a) I'm blanking on the type of glue right now, but a check at one of your bigger chain auto parts stores should be helpful
(b) Make sure the headliner remains attached while the glue cures.

(3) Remove the headliner all together, reroute the wires you find up there (admittedly, sunroof wires would be difficult to reroute) and enjoy the feel, if not the cost, of a Defender! :D

Andy

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some searching, I found this on another site and thought I'd post it here.

Go to a hardware store (Home Depot or Menard's or Lowe's or whatever) and get some of these (see attached image):

You want the short ones. Now, drill holes through the headliner and headliner backing material (NOT the roof!), and mount these. Use masking tape to hold the headliner steady while drilling, and then push these through. I read that they can be painted to match your interior.

Hope this helps!

Andy

D

discomike

3M makes a spray glue which you can buy at most auto parts store that will do the job for you.
Mike J.