Drove the new Discovery and I'm totally confused now.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation...I use my vehicle for work and just did my 2016 tax return. My accountant said that my LR4 is done depreciating and it's time to buy a new vehicle. I would have saved $8K on my tax return if I bought a new vehicle in 2016. And there is an additional tax savings if I buy one with a GVWR over 6000 pounds.

Drove the new Discovery today and it has nothing in common with an LR4. I went on the test drive with the general manager of the dealership. There is a MB dealership nearby and his first comment was that anybody that shops the new Discovery against a GL will buy the Discovery and I completely agree. His second comment was that the hardest customer to sell a Discovery to will be current LR4 owners. Completely agree with that comment as well.

I drove Audi avants (wagons) for years and the Discovery drives and feels like a big wagon. All seating is lower, roof is lower, less glass all around, far less visibility out the back. The good part is that the steering, handling and overall agility is far better than an LR4. The 1000 pound weight loss is a huge improvement.

Seats are very different, more like BMW & Audi with side bolsters that hug you. Rear seats are low, I think that is a mistake but I'll let my kids make that final decision when I bring them along on the next test drive. Interior looks better in some areas yet cheaper in others. Improved technology all around is immediately apparent.

So if I listen to my accountant, it's going to be a tough decision between the Discovery and Q7. Pricing is nearly identical between a Discovery HSE-LUX and a Q7 Prestige with air suspension. Q7 engine is far better, revs quicker, sounds better and gets better mpg. Disco is better off road, has snow mode and a spare tire. Then there is another contender...Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Nice square shape, V8 Hemi, and $20K less price tag. Based on friend's Jeep ownership experiences, I figure can only keep the Jeep for 2 years before the warranty expires and it falls apart. I guess I have some time to think about this more since I need to take delivery of a new vehicle before 12/31/17.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going the tall wagon route I would say Q7 > Discovery. If you are in this category also check out the new Volvo XC90.

If you want a LR4 successor how about a Toyota Land Cruiser?

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Q7 is terrific vehicle if you don't have a desire for something sporty and are good with a vehicle that does nothing extremely well. If getting from point A to B in good comfort with good fuel economy and good technology is your desire then the Q7 is the ticket.

If you are someone who needs something that is sporty then look at the X5 options, if you are someone who needs something special to tug at the heart strings then stick with the Rover.

I would steer clear of the Grand Cherokee as they are not in the good category. I would suggest Lexus GX or Land Cruiser as options.

Experience: 2014 LR4 HSE-Lux (Lemon'd, sadly, miss it dearly) > 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel (Would have been better with a Hemi) > 2010 BMW M3 > 2017 Q7 Premium Plus (Current Vehicle)

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I really want is an SQ7 but that price tag will be nuts. I did test drive an X5 last year and it felt like a Buick compared to previous BMWs I have driven. Vague steering, mushy brakes, so-so interior styling. Maybe M-sport and sport suspension options can make the X5 better. Or maybe I'll skip the 6000 GVWR discount and get a new SQ5 for sales calls. (And keep my LR4 for when I need to haul boxes)

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Q7 is terrific vehicle if you don't have a desire for something sporty and are good with a vehicle that does nothing extremely well. If getting from point A to B in good comfort with good fuel economy and good technology is your desire then the Q7 is the ticket.

If you are someone who needs something that is sporty then look at the X5 options, if you are someone who needs something special to tug at the heart strings then stick with the Rover.

I would steer clear of the Grand Cherokee as they are not in the good category. I would suggest Lexus GX or Land Cruiser as options.

Experience: 2014 LR4 HSE-Lux (Lemon'd, sadly, miss it dearly) > 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit EcoDiesel (Would have been better with a Hemi) > 2010 BMW M3 > 2017 Q7 Premium Plus (Current Vehicle)

Thank you so much for your input, as a previous JGC owner and current Q7 owner I really appreciate your feedback. I probably need some time to start viewing the Discovery as an entirely different vehicle and stop comparing it to an LR4. The one thing I know for sure...with the smaller windows and lower roof, don't order the black headliner like the demo car I drove. Makes it feel even smaller inside.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I really want is an SQ7 but that price tag will be nuts. I did test drive an X5 last year and it felt like a Buick compared to previous BMWs I have driven. Vague steering, mushy brakes, so-so interior styling. Maybe M-sport and sport suspension options can make the X5 better. Or maybe I'll skip the 6000 GVWR discount and get a new SQ5 for sales calls. (And keep my LR4 for when I need to haul boxes)

Not sure which X5 you drove but I wouldn't get anything less than the 50i with the V8. Otherwise nothing special. Other half has one and it will put a smile on your face!

Thank you so much for your input, as a previous JGC owner and current Q7 owner I really appreciate your feedback. I probably need some time to start viewing the Discovery as an entirely different vehicle and stop comparing it to an LR4. The one thing I know for sure...with the smaller windows and lower roof, don't order the black headliner like the demo car I drove. Makes it feel even smaller inside.

My dealer buddy really wants me to come drive the new Discovery since I am not thrilled with my Q7. Again, great vehicle does everything well but nothing exciting. I was excited for the Discovery but the more I look at it the more I hate the rear quarter and it seems to have lost some of the functions I loved about the LR4 (Rear seat 40/20/40 split and high headroom). Also the more I dislike the price tag as it doesn't seem worth it. Now I have not seen one in person so I could change my mind but idk, just doesn't seem to have the same appeal.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a LR4 successor how about a Toyota Land Cruiser?

You are absolutely correct about this. Any current LR4 owner that thinks the Discovery is an LR4 successor will be so disappointed. I know that I was and I need to view the Discovery as what it is...a completely new crossover that is very capable of going anywhere.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct about this. Any current LR4 owner that thinks the Discovery is an LR4 successor will be so disappointed. I know that I was and I need to view the Discovery as what it is...a new completely new crossover that is very capable of going anywhere.

This is tough to do when the LR4 had so many functions that no other vehicle had and thats what made it great!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
epiclr4, I think you will find that the Discovery drives very similar to the Q7. Extremely functional but no "wow". As my Discovery build gets closer to $80K, maybe a RR Sport with the supercharged V8 is an option to consider.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
epiclr4, I think you will find that the Discovery drives very similar to the Q7. Extremely functional but no "wow". As my Discovery build gets closer to $80K, maybe a RR Sport with the supercharged V8 is an option to consider.

Maybe.... If you don't need the transfer case you could go Dynamic. I do struggle buying something with "Sport" in the title and it not having it be sporty. I would have to have the V8 in the Sport.

One call out is the RRS is smaller than the X5 which is smaller than the Q7. You said something about boxes, not sure what your cargo requirements are.

Used full size Range Rovers are down in price as of late too if you are able to buy used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV