Enabling digital speedo question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedGTS

Reaction score
I've read the prior threads about this issue and I gather this feature can be enabled with the new IIDtool (correct me if I'm wrong on that umbertob as I think it was you who said you had done it), but I'm not sure if I can justify buying an IIDtool just for that as I doubt I would use it for much else. So my question is, has anyone actually had a dealer enable it, and if so what did they charge? Surely if the IIDtool can do it the computer the dealer uses can, but maybe not.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read the prior threads about this issue and I gather this feature can be enabled with the new IIDtool (correct me if I'm wrong on that umbertob as I think it was you who said you had done it), but I'm not sure if I can justify buying an IIDtool just for that as I doubt I would use it for much else. So my question is, has anyone actually had a dealer enable it, and if so what did they charge? Surely if the IIDtool can do it the computer the dealer uses can, but maybe not.

I'm going to ask my dealership (in Massachusetts) to do it when it's in for service next week. I tried to have it enabled on my 2010 a few years ago but kept getting tossed between the dealer and Land Rover USA. I think armed with the evidence from helpful people like Umberto, I might have a shot this time. I agree the IID tool price is hefty if you're only going to use it in this instance.

RedGTS

Reaction score
I'm going to ask my dealership (in Massachusetts) to do it when it's in for service next week. I tried to have it enabled on my 2010 a few years ago but kept getting tossed between the dealer and Land Rover USA. I think armed with the evidence from helpful people like Umberto, I might have a shot this time. I agree the IID tool price is hefty if you're only going to use it in this instance.

Sounds good--please let us know what happens.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have better luck at a suitably equipped Land Rover independent shop than at the dealer. Even though I am quite sure the radio button to enable the digital mph speedo is available on IDS (or whatever the Land Rover diagnostic system is called these days), because that's how GAP found it and programmed it in their IIDTool, there must be a good reason - probably a stupid one, having to do with bureaucracy or liability, but a reason nevertheless - for Land Rover to disable that display on NAS cars, and dealerships could get in trouble with LRNA for overriding those options.

My guess is the dealer will keep claiming it can't be enabled... Then again, I see some cars on this very forum heavily modified by dealers with non-approved wheels, tires, body armor, etc., so perhaps it depends on your relationship with the SA. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask nicely.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the speed not show on the LCD screen? What exactly are you trying to enable?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't show on the lower corner of the TFT display, unless you switch units from mph to km/h. :confused:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's MCS (Mini Cooper S) and my 997TT both have totally useless analog speedos (one is too far away to be useful, and the other is tiny and has too terrible resolution), so you have redundant digital ones. The 997 has a permanent one beneath the analog tach. The MCS can be configured to have the speed shown on a digital display beneath the tach.

Both these instances would suggest that this is a LRNA policy and not a regulation issue.

RedGTS

Reaction score
horatio, any update? Was your dealer able to enable the mph speedo?

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
horatio, any update? Was your dealer able to enable the mph speedo?

I had to postpone my service appointment due to some traveling, but will definitely let you know. I'm not optimistic, as I usually get a story about how there's one technician who's an electronics system expert, but he's never there on the day of my service.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72