Engine gone - No oil light came on

Discussion in 'Discovery' started by Sparrowhawk, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new in here.

My Disco 4 61 plate went bang last week. Very loud knocking noise from the engine.

The 4x4 garage the car was recovered to drained the oil and there was just 800ml of oil in the engine. I've had no warning lights suggesting low oil...

Has this happened to anyone on here before?

Currently looking at a new engine out of warrenty. Something I cannot afford at the moment...£8-12k.

I've spoken to Land Rover HQ and they want the vehicle inspected for a possible fault on the oil level warning system.

Help...please!

2. joey

joey Custom Rover Accessories Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. Best bet is work with Land Rover and hope the Oil Level warning system was the issue and maybe they will replace the engine.

3. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk New Member

Thank you!

I really hope you are right Joey. I'm no mechanic but I'm very 'car proud' and look after my vehicles (through my mechanics) and had any warning light come on it would've been addressed immediately.

The only light that did come on was the brake pad light which prompted me to book it in for a service. Unfortunately the engine blew 2 days before she went in.

The manual suggests there is an oil can light which comes on but there is no oil can warning light on my dashboard warning lights which seems strange. My mechanic is also baffled by this.

I genuinely hope LR are reasonable and genuine as a new engine bill is something I cannot really afford at present and really shouldn't have to pay for on a 5 year old vehicle with just over 100k on the clock.

Fingers crossed!