Engine gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCR4D@59

Reaction score
2010 LR4 - CodeP0018 alerted me to a problem. Mechanic said engine gone. No oil. No prompt, no oil light, no nothing. Can you offer suggestions? Help!

Thanks

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My suggestion if a new one is needed....get rid of the underpowered NA V8 (yeah, I said that) and drop the SVR supercharged one in there.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the NA 5.0 and SC 5.0 are the same engine. They just slap a SC on the it. The SVR engine is the same, with different programming, and a difference crank and SC pulley
you would need an engine harness, and ECU as well from a SC 5.0.
The integration is not that difficult, just have to change the vehicle CCF, and "sync" the ECU to the rest of the vehicle on the CAN network.

I have looked into this quite a bit and figure it would cost around 15K USD to swap to a low mile used SC5.0 in a LR4. The SVR motor doesn't make much sense as it is a different transmission, and i do not know if the stock LR4 trans would bu up to the added torque. The stock trans has been used in the RRS SC from 09-13 with the same ratings, so it should be an easy drop in.

But back to the OP original question.
No it is not common for a NA V8 5.0 to fail. It does happen, but not common.
Get a second opinion, as the P0018 is a crank position sensor code, not indicative of a low/no oil situation.
Possible your mechanic couldn't figure out how to check the oil :)
Take it to a Land Rover Dealer, a $10K bill to replace the engine is not something to do based on one opinion.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nancy, did you drive your truck to your mechanic, or did it die on you and needed to be towed?

Is this a Land Rover mechanic? It is very easy to incorrectly gauge how much oil is in the engine- if done wrong the dash readout can look like there is no oil in the engine when there is plenty.

The code you spoke of relates to a small (yet important) sensor on the top part of your engine not functioning correctly, which is veeeeeery rarely the only sign of a blown engine. As Paul and JaguarDoc said, a qualified second opinion is definitely in order..

Keep us in the loop!

Mike

P.S. A SC V8 would be sweet, nonetheless..

Last edited:

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2010 LR4 - CodeP0018 alerted me to a problem. Mechanic said engine gone. No oil. No prompt, no oil light, no nothing. Can you offer suggestions? Help!
If the engine is still running without making ugly noises, I'd get a second opinion before doing anything else.

o_O

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV