Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly think the KO2s are some of the best tires on the market. If I had the choice, I would take the E rated tire every time. Between the truck's sheer weight loaded up and the off-road capability, I would want the extra plies. BFG took a legendary tire and upgraded it for modern use and durability. The KO2s are pretty amazing.

I can only speak about my recent move from Nitto Dune Grapplers to the KO2s, but a couple months on now and I am still amazed at how quiet the KO2s are comparatively.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I skimmed the thread but couldn't yet find the answer. a friend is buying a '14 with V6, any difference in caliper/rotor clearance versus the older LR4's (pre-'13)? OR does the same advice apply (compos or "18LR3 rim with spacer for any year)?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never used any BFG tires, so I can't compare I'm afraid. I hear great things about them from fellow LR club members, and they do look great (both the original KO and the new ones.) I think the LT285/60R18 Nitto Terra G2s (E-load) I have are excellent all-around A/T tires if you want traction and nearly bullet-proof protection from sidewall damage off road but competent and comfortable tires on pavement, which is where is spend 99% of my time, unfortunately. :) They have served me well over every terrain and conditions except mud, snow and ice - never had the opportunity - and I will definitely be getting another set soon: mine are chewed up even worse than yours, but I do have nearly 60K miles on them and I off-road them pretty regularly and heavily, so I can't complain. There is still quite a bit of meat on them, as you can see. With a lesser tire I am sure I'd have slashed a few sidewalls by now. They are heavy and a bit noisy, that's all. But so are the BFGs and most LT / E-load tires. I figured if it ain't broke...

2016-10-10%2011.43.jpg

These are the types of trails here on the West that, slowly but surely, will chew through your tires and give your sidewalls grief (just came back from a fantastic few days up in the Sierra with some friends):

Depending on where you live, your needs may be different. For instance, for rough / snowy winter conditions, these Nittos probably wouldn't be my first choice.

NASdiesel, specs and clearances for brakes, wheels and tires have never changed for the LR4. Whatever worked for a 2010 also works for a 2016.

Last edited:

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your feedback.
It looks like I will stay with BFG. I have been very happy with TA KO 1st gen. If not the chunks of tread missing I would probably get another 20 000 miles. ( blame it on rock crawling) If KO2 are better it should work for me. You are right Umberto "if it ain't broke...". We always think there is something better out there.

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried looking up KO2 or even the stock 4x4 Contact tech info in the Load and Inflation tables, but they are not available without emailing customer service. I'll do just that and even provide the stock load ratings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did not go with an A/T tire on my newly purchased Compo's. Did business with a local tire shop and they recommended the Michelin Defender LTX M/S over the other all seasons I was considering. Mostly because there tread and load rating were more suited for what I was looking for versus the Premier LTX.

I couldn't justify a heavier duty tire for the mud and ruts trails I am on. Good thing is if I ever need a more rugged tire, it's an easy swap having 18" wheels. A further confirmation on my choice happened when I stumbled across a video on YouTube with a bunch of Jeeps on rutted trails with the Defender LTX M/S tires.

SHS14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I emailed Michelin for the load and inflation table for the tire I bought...they happily provided the table so I could confirm the LR recommended tire pressures were suitable loads with the new tires. I'm running the standard 36 F, 42 R and I'm happy with the ride comfort.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1014161630.jpg
1014161631.jpg
1014161631a.jpg
1014161632.jpg

After recent balancing and rebalancing of my ,missing chunks of tread , BFGs I still had vibration on steering wheel and I decided to put my stock wheels and tires to find out what was going on. The good news is no shaking , no vibration.( I forgot how much lighter the stock set up is ;). The bad news is ...I will be buying new tires (KO2).( I thought that my wife could use stock wheels / for daily driving and I would just change to my abused BFGs for Off-road trips but this idea was not approved by her.:adore:
The pictures explain everything.
LR4 with 18 inch wheels and AT tires looks like a completely different car.
After 3 years with BFG I forgot how tiny stock tires were.
Couple of pictures included.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect most of us on this forum like the front wheel more than the rear. ;-) Nice color LR4, BTW!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was checking out recent prices of the Compos PD1881 from online suppliers. The current Pound / Dollar exchange rate works in US customers' favor, big time. Performance Alloys is advertising these wheels for just over $300 after £/$ conversion, plus shipping from the UK, which adds another 65 bucks per wheel approximately. Still not cheap by any means, but compared to the nearly $500/ea I paid to get these wheels over 3 years ago, that's a nice 25% discount, courtesy of... Brexit? https://www.performancealloys.com/wheel-details.aspx?ID=5065

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was checking out recent prices of the Compos PD1881 from online suppliers. The current Pound / Dollar exchange rate works in US customers' favor, big time. Performance Alloys is advertising these wheels for just over $300 after £/$ conversion, plus shipping from the UK, which adds another 65 bucks per wheel approximately. Still not cheap by any means, but compared to the nearly $500/ea I paid to get these wheels over 3 years ago, that's a nice 25% discount, courtesy of... Brexit? https://www.performancealloys.com/wheel-details.aspx?ID=5065

I was just looking at this today also actually. I already have 5, but was thinking of picking up one more black 1881 to have for a rear bumper/carrier setup and as an extra backup. I'm just thinking some day I may want two spares.

Im also considering going with 265/60R18 ko2 next time just due to spare tire fitting and whatnot, but I really do love that extra 1". I also still think about bumpstop issues and loosing EAS.

My shopping list is getting tall though.. still need an IID tool, need to do my brakes again (just hit 50k, bye bye warranty) and want to get a spare compo, rear bumper, ... sigh)

LT 265/60R18 119/116S E BSW 30.5" E 3000/2755 lbs 80 psi 50.1 lbs
LT 265/65R18 122/119R E RWL 31.5" E 3305/3000 lbs 80 psi 51.9 lbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV