Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bullmrkt

Reaction score
Any opinion on 265/60R18 KO2s on a stock LR4 with Compomotive 18s? I'm about 80/20 on pavement and horrible gravel/rocky roads so I'm not doing hard-ass off-roading as much as I'm in variable situations that may not need that increase in sidewall that comes with 65s. My primary concerns are a) being able to fit the spare under the vehicle without removing the heat shield and b) avoiding any rubbing that might be an issue with the larger 65s. Does sticking at 60 check those boxes?

Yes I'm running them along with at least one other active member here. They're what I'd consider the "stock" size for 18" KO2's. I'm running them as you describe on Compo 18's and there's no rubbing at any height full-lock and no problem with the spare even with the trailer hitch plugged in (I tow). There's more discussion a ways back in this thread by me and others on the topic.

They've been pretty good in snow/ice and quite amazing on-road for such an aggressive tread (compared to OEM tires). People can't believe how quiet they are when they go for a ride--everyone assumes they'll howl like mud tires. I got them more for the load and snow rating than off-roading. I wish I could do more off-roading but it just doesn't really exist around SW Ohio unfortunately...

wlvrn

Reaction score
Yes I'm running them along with at least one other active member here. They're what I'd consider the "stock" size for 18" KO2's. I'm running them as you describe on Compo 18's and there's no rubbing at any height full-lock and no problem with the spare even with the trailer hitch plugged in (I tow). There's more discussion a ways back in this thread by me and others on the topic.

They've been pretty good in snow/ice and quite amazing on-road for such an aggressive tread (compared to OEM tires). People can't believe how quiet they are when they go for a ride--everyone assumes they'll howl like mud tires. I got them more for the load and snow rating than off-roading. I wish I could do more off-roading but it just doesn't really exist around SW Ohio unfortunately...
That's great to hear; I was hoping that there would be a happy-medium for having a versatile all terrain tire without sacrificing convenience. Have any photos of these on your rig?

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any opinion on 265/60R18 KO2s on a stock LR4 with Compomotive 18s? I'm about 80/20 on pavement and horrible gravel/rocky roads so I'm not doing hard-ass off-roading as much as I'm in variable situations that may not need that increase in sidewall that comes with 65s. My primary concerns are a) being able to fit the spare under the vehicle without removing the heat shield and b) avoiding any rubbing that might be an issue with the larger 65s. Does sticking at 60 check those boxes?

You won't have rubbing issues at 265/65 either, but you would have to remove heat shield and air down a bit to fit the spare. I'd imagine the 265/60 should fit under there, but you would need to ask someone else who runs them for sure.

Last edited:

DiscoBiscuit

Reaction score
After nearly 20 years of owning a beautiful Jeep Cherokee I've just switched over to a Disco 4 - quite a change in many ways! I got used to my head touching the ceiling of the Jeep - with the disco the ceiling seems a long way up there! I will say though - I was genuinely shocked although also kind of relieved at how similar the drive is on the two vehicles which are so obviously different in many ways.

Anyway I'm going to pull the trigger on the PD1881's and probably go with the AT KO2s on 265/60R18. I had BFG's on my Jeep since 2001 and I cannot fault them in any way - they literally last forever and are nigh on indestructible.

I would rather go with 265/65R18 but by all accounts I've read they seem like they will rub a little under certain circumstances - generally when the rear wheels hit full articulation. My local 4x4 tyre place (AJS tyres) reckon that both the 265/60 and 265/65 fit OK but I'm still under warranty so don't want to give Land Rover any excuse hence the more or less stock size of the 265/60's.

Finally, my disco is black and I'm kind of torn between the anthracite and the black for the rims. Any thoughts on this - does anyone have a black body with the grey rims they could post a picture of?

BullMrkt - your rims are grey on a black body LR4 right?

I think I prefer the grey rims to the black rims, at least on a black body

Last edited:

wlvrn

Reaction score
After nearly 20 years of owning a beautiful Jeep Cherokee I've just switched over to a Disco 4 - quite a change in many ways! I got used to my head touching the ceiling of the Jeep - with the disco the ceiling seems a long way up there! I will say though - I was genuinely shocked although also kind of relieved at how similar the drive is on the two vehicles which are so obviously different in many ways.

Anyway I'm going to pull the trigger on the PD1881's and probably go with the AT KO2s on 265/60R18. I had BFG's on my Jeep since 2001 and I cannot fault them in any way - they literally last forever and are nigh on indestructible.

I would rather go with 265/65R18 but by all accounts I've read they seem like they will rub a little under certain circumstances - generally when the front wheels hit full articulation. My local 4x4 tyre place (AJS tyres) reckon that both the 265/60 and 265/65 fit OK but I'm still under warranty so don't want to give Land Rover any excuse hence the more or less stock size of the 265/60's.

Finally, my disco is black and I'm kind of torn between the anthracite and the black for the rims. Any thoughts on this - does anyone have a black body with the grey rims they could post a picture of?

I was in the same boat as you and ended up going with 265/60. The vehicle is brand new and under warranty and, while I do want to customize it a bit, I'm attempting to do so in ways that don't rock the boat too much. Perhaps after the warranty wears off, I'll go a bit more outside of the envelope, but for now... nothing too crazy. The fact that you do not need to remove the heat shield to store the KO2s at 60 size is convenient. Not having to deal with rubbing is, also, nice. The fact is, I'm happy with a compromise for now as I'm not squarely in one extreme or the other.

As for the Anthracite... I think they look *really* nice on a Black vehicle. The Satin Black look nicer on a White vehicle (which is what I have). You can see your combination here (same wheels, wheel color, tire, and tire size): http://www.landroverworld.org/threa...-lr3-with-18-wheels.24788/page-39#post-163995

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you and ended up going with 265/60. The vehicle is brand new and under warranty and, while I do want to customize it a bit, I'm attempting to do so in ways that don't rock the boat too much. Perhaps after the warranty wears off, I'll go a bit more outside of the envelope, but for now... nothing too crazy. The fact that you do not need to remove the heat shield to store the KO2s at 60 size is convenient. Not having to deal with rubbing is, also, nice. The fact is, I'm happy with a compromise for now as I'm not squarely in one extreme or the other.

As for the Anthracite... I think they look *really* nice on a Black vehicle. The Satin Black look nicer on a White vehicle (which is what I have). You can see your combination here (same wheels, wheel color, tire, and tire size): http://www.landroverworld.org/threa...-lr3-with-18-wheels.24788/page-39#post-163995

Speaking of pics... have any of your rig?

I think I'm gonna order compos tomorrow. Already know I'll be getting black for my Fuji white w/black pack. Haven't seen anyone with white and 265/60 KO2s.

DiscoBiscuit

Reaction score

Yup - the extra diameter would be nice but I don't need the potential warranty headaches just yet....maybe later as you say.

I saw whose pictures of bullmrkts rig - i agree = they look very slick - the anthracire grey looks very dark in those photos, almost black. In some other photos they look much lighter but I'm guessing it just a factor of the ambient light and maybe the body colour influences it too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV