Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So tricky. I let the better half decide in the end and she said black.

Heres some pics of black rims on a black body from P_J_F earlier on in this thread - these happen to be BFG AT 265/65

http://www.landroverworld.org/threa...-lr3-with-18-wheels.24788/page-35#post-157830

LR_Big_Sur-2.jpg

LR_Big_Sur-5.jpg

LR_Big_Sur-1.jpg
LR_Big_Sur-3.jpg

Dang. Those look pretty grey...

That is the one thing I am worried about with these wheels. My white LR with the black pack is a good look and I'm worried the satin black won't quite be as dark as the rest of the black bits.

Well, not that there are any better options... I will find out soon as the compos are shipping today.

KO2s arrive today!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_7945.JPG
Best winter traction available on LR3/4 aside from actual chains.

Nokian studded LT2 E load range 245/75-17 but also available in 275/65-18 with less bite due to added width. The 7" wide tire cuts better through slush and has higher ground pressure.

It's been truly astounding so far in a worse than normal PNW winter ranging from 0F hardpack ice to deep wet snow/slush.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow this thread is still going.

I'm not sure who talked about the 3% margin it's pretty ridiculous. As long as you have 4 rim/tire combo the same size you are good.

As far as warranty is concerned, unless you actually mess with engine you will be good (and even then you might still be fine, we're not talking chipping a BMW or something like that here).

I don't always have a good relationship with the service department at LR but they've never blamed any warranty work on the size of my tires. In addition if the tires were to be the culprit they would still be happy to collect the money from LRNA or any other extended warranty company. They are the ones writing the request for payment...

In other words to whatever you want and try to have a good relationship with your SA.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I deal with an indy shop because I have a great option nearby and my vehicles are both 2008, but my dealer would not even offer me any tires other than the original OEM options in 2008 when I inquired 2 years ago. No other brands and certainly no other sizes, nothing. I was shocked as I just wanted General Grabber AT2's in the stock size and they would not do it.

I am pretty sure if I had a new or newer LR4 and rolled in with 31.5" tires and had a wheel hub issue, they would blame it on the tires and not cover it under warranty.

While I agree that you would think that they would WANT to have it covered to get paid, that is not the impression I have of my dealer. The 3% comment was someone on this forum who asked his dealer specifically and that was their response. Again, I do not think it is an actual LR rule, but it was apparently that dealers policy.

I would not make any global assumptions either way, each dealer is its own little world and they all do things differently.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true each dealership have their own policies and approach to the whole thing.

DiscoBiscuit

Reaction score
The uk dealer I spoke to last week said to just be aware that here at least, warranty claims could take into account non spec wheels.

This is from the UK warranty terms

"Any vehicle fitted with wheels and tyres that exceed Land Rover maximum approved size and diameter must be declared prior to application for the warranty as fitment of such wheels and tyres could invalidate the warranty."

I have yet to find anybody who can definitively tell me what the "Land Rover maximum approved size and diameter" is though...

I will guess that its just a risk rather than a definite problem.

wlvrn

Reaction score
I emailed BFG to see what their recommendation was for LT265/60R18 KO2 PSI and they got back to me with some pretty high numbers:

We would recommend that you inflate your BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires in size LT265/60R18" to 55 psi front and rear to carry a similar load, and for proper wear and handling.

Anyone else go that high? I've seen a lot of people in this thread with the same size go 42F/48R.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I inflate my Nitto Terra G2 LT285/60R18 (also E range) about 52R, 48F. No complaints and they do seem to wear evenly.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I emailed BFG to see what their recommendation was for LT265/60R18 KO2 PSI and they got back to me with some pretty high numbers:

Anyone else go that high? I've seen a lot of people in this thread with the same size go 42F/48R.

Getting those tires mounting to compos on Friday. Thanks for doing the legwork!

But I agree... 55 all the way around seems awfully high as well as strange that F and R are not different.
May go with 52R and 48F...

Let me know what you end up doing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA