Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DiscoBiscuit

Reaction score
So, I am on 265/65 compos... and I have an IID tool, but I have not touched the air suspension with the tool yet at all. When you added the 1" lift.. how much does that throw off your camber? I know when I just have it in normal off road height I get some serious positive camber.
Hi mbw - it's an interesting question that

So.. are your wheels off camber enough to wear the tires un evenly? This is the whole thing for me on running around with a lift (or lowered) ... you mess with the camber. Do people just ignore that and hope for the best or are people actually getting alignments and changing where they are in spec?

Hi MBW - good question and one I can't fully answer yet.

I haven't noticed any pulling left or right, in fact with these tyres the vehicle drives straighter than it did with the stock 20's (if I took my hands off the wheel before it would slowly pull left).

That said, with camber I can't tell from just looking at the wheels or from the feel either. I'm tempted to get it aligned at it's current lifted height (which is basically an inch higher than stock) - I had initially figured that the vehicle would keep the alignment whether it was normal height or off-road height and therefore my lift (which is probably somewhere in between the two) would also be within limits. If you're saying that being in off-road height throws out your camber then that makes me want to go and get it checked.

Certainly handling feels good but having only put a handful miles on the tyres I can't yet tell if wear is even. I'll find a flat surface and try to measure camber in the first instance.

cheers

Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck will drive straight that's a given (as long as it was before lifting). If you do not care about road handling and tire wear (as well as lower mpg) don't get an alignment. If you do then please get your "lifted" truck a proper alignment.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even using stock tires and stock height, you will see more negative camber with access height and more positive camber with off-road height.

The suspension geometry, primarily camber, is not maintained with height changes. The entire suspension triangle is not lifted, its the air spring the lifts the vehicle, so it obviously impacts that angle.

The older I get the more I don't see the point in messing with the design of a suspension. I had my Infiniti G35x lowered for awhile on progressive rate springs, and even had it properly aligned and used different a-arms and toe adjustment kit... and that was still a pain to deal with and harder on other components. It is the same with an LR4.

The CV shaft angles are going to be more severe with any lift, and you also end up with a higher CG and probably other issues.. harder on some of the bushes probably. I know it looks cool, but ya.. guess im just a crotchety old mid thirties man. Part of joy of having air suspension is you can leave it 'low' normally and only lift it when you really need it... and I don't rock crawl, so off-road height has always been enough for the trails and deep rutted tracks I have been on.

My tires lifted it some and that is enough for me. :D But to each his own! Enjoy.

DiscoBiscuit

Reaction score
Even using stock tires and stock height, you will see more negative camber with access height and more positive camber with off-road height.

The suspension geometry, primarily camber, is not maintained with height changes. The entire suspension triangle is not lifted, its the air spring the lifts the vehicle, so it obviously impacts that angle.

The older I get the more I don't see the point in messing with the design of a suspension. I had my Infiniti G35x lowered for awhile on progressive rate springs, and even had it properly aligned and used different a-arms and toe adjustment kit... and that was still a pain to deal with and harder on other components. It is the same with an LR4.

The CV shaft angles are going to be more severe with any lift, and you also end up with a higher CG and probably other issues.. harder on some of the bushes probably. I know it looks cool, but ya.. guess im just a crotchety old mid thirties man. Part of joy of having air suspension is you can leave it 'low' normally and only lift it when you really need it... and I don't rock crawl, so off-road height has always been enough for the trails and deep rutted tracks I have been on.

My tires lifted it some and that is enough for me. :D But to each his own! Enjoy.

Well that makes sense and you can kind of see it in the last picture from the workshop. The back wheels are basically hanging down with the rear-end suspended and they are very obviously displaying significant positive camber kind of mimicking an extreme extended mode.

View media item 309
Agreed though, the change of wheels did 10 times more good than a 1 inch "software" lift

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KO2's vs Duratrac's in the snow?
Anyone have either set?
I know the KO2's have been used by most, but I have always had good luck with the Duratrac's
Also has any one used or seen the Kumho AT51's

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have clearance issues with compos?

I'm at my local shop cause the weights they added to the rim for balancing were hitting the calipers on the front passenger side. One whole row of weights got ripped off completely it would seem.

Looking at the calipers on both fronts, they are DANG close to the rim. Is that normal?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi