Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the talk about heat shield removal?

You can see a heat shield between the exhaust pipes and the spare tire area. You need to remove this, as the bracket that attaches it will take up half an inch or so of extra space. Pretty much everyone with 18" tires and ATs have removed this to fit bigger tires and I have never heard of a single issue due to heat. I am on my second set of tires and also rotate my spare with my other wheels on a regular basis. I've never seen anything wrong. The bracket holding the shield is attached with 2 very easy to remove bolts & nuts.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score

bjf

Reaction score
You can see a heat shield between the exhaust pipes and the spare tire area. You need to remove this, as the bracket that attaches it will take up half an inch or so of extra space. Pretty much everyone with 18" tires and ATs have removed this to fit bigger tires and I have never heard of a single issue due to heat. I am on my second set of tires and also rotate my spare with my other wheels on a regular basis. I've never seen anything wrong. The bracket holding the shield is attached with 2 very easy to remove bolts & nuts.

So I assume remove spare and I will see it?

I have a general grabber on my comp wheel there now but it's smaller that 265 so I never looked up there. I figure I need to remove this before I go to the tire shop to get the new rubber.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can just look under the back of your truck and see it. It is pretty obvious.

Takes all of 2 minutes to remove.

You can kind of see it in this pic. It is the black plastic looking thing between the spare and exhaust pipes.

Land_Rover12.jpg

Last edited:

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut the heat shield down and installed the Rhino hitch for 285/60-18 General Grabber AT2's. They are load range E tire so sidewalls are stiffer and deflating less effective.

The factory hitch is not friendly to oversize tires. It protrudes into the storage space when used. If never towing you are ok. If you need to tow forget about installing an oversize tire. It will end up in your vehicle.

bjf

Reaction score
Do you have to remove the spare to remove the heat shield?

I assume with a 265, leaving the trailer hitch on isn't an issue

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am pretty sure (I've done it a couple of times but it's been a while since the last... anyone need a heat shield assembly, super cheap? :D) that with the spare tire in place you may not be able to reach the couple of small screws or bolts that hold the bracket of the heat shield in place. Once you remove the spare, it's child's play to remove it - but be safe and still place a couple of jack stands on each side of the chassis before sticking your head and body down there.

I don't have a trailer hitch, but if by "265" you mean a 265/65R18, it will probably get in the way of the hitch just like a 285/60R18 spare does. Diameter-wise, the two are about the same.

bjf

Reaction score
I do mean 265/65/18. Annoying it will interfere with the hitch. I use it for my bike rack. Does it matter that I have the newer one?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV