Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucwolfser

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here from the UK.
Great forum and an informative thread here!
So I’ve got myself some PD1881s on order and as many have mulled it over it’s tyre choice time...
Interesting that the latest posts report tyre noise from the KO2s having had them a while - seems a lot of the AT tyres do this.
So I’m also nudging towards the KO2s and can’t find a definitive answer on whether the 265/65 cause issues if one has the dreaded limp mode?.
Sod’s law says it would happen out on a trail and I don’t want to be stranded..i
I’m thinking worst case scenario in that the suspension couldn’t be raised in recovery mode with IID Tool or Easy Lift..
I’m ok with the other possible rubbing issues, just the limp mode scenario.
Any thoughts? Or anyone experienced this?
Check out Lucky8 SYA Kit. It'll mitigate rod or airbag failure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting that the latest posts report tyre noise from the KO2s having had them a while - seems a lot of the AT tyres do this.
So I’m also nudging towards the KO2s and can’t find a definitive answer on whether the 265/65 cause issues if one has the dreaded limp mode?.
Sod’s law says it would happen out on a trail and I don’t want to be stranded..i
I’m thinking worst case scenario in that the suspension couldn’t be raised in recovery mode with IID Tool or Easy Lift..
I’m ok with the other possible rubbing issues, just the limp mode scenario.
Any thoughts? Or anyone experienced this?

Noise: I never really notice until I found how quiet the Michelin MS2 are by comparison.

Size: 265/65-18 is what most people go with. I wouldn’t hesitate on a stock vehicle.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out Lucky8 SYA Kit. It'll mitigate rod or airbag failure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
LOL While the strut spacer is a very cool modification, it also introduces numerous issues and hurdles of its own not to mention reduced travel or enxyebde ride height.

You’d have to choose, ride higher 2” out of ideal engineering range, or ride at standard height but with 2” reduction in compression travel. Neither are ideal and both have important negatives. The 2” less compliance is actually very noticeable and s terrible choice but riding 2” higher full time is less stable, ESPECIALLY for heavier vehicles like many of us end up with.

I’d like to design an adjustable spacer...

TongaExplorer

Reaction score
Cheers for the reply’s guys!
Think I’ll go for the BFG 265/65/18s,
as more sidewall was the initial factor!

TongaExplorer

Reaction score
Ooooo
They came today!
4D1E2776-71DC-4BB8-9615-A452ACF98501.jpeg

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Compomotives and am mulling Nitto Ridge Grapplers at 285/60/18. I've tried digging around but can't find anyone with an LR4 that is running them. The diameter on their site says 31.69. I know some of you are running that size, but then there are posts where the same size has a slightly different diameter due to the tread.

Then there's the spare issue. I'm assuming I'll have to air it down, but is it going to fit with that diameter.

thanks in advance.

TongaExplorer

Reaction score
88635987-BC36-4578-B766-AA8F1FDAEA7D.jpeg
Got the BFG 265/65/18s fitted, well to the wheels at least. Disco is at the garage having servo etc replaced due to oil ingress
Picked up a nice wheel cover too, just need to get a carrier fitted next...
610FE306-30B6-45CB-85D3-C27728CAE24A.jpeg

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Compomotives and am mulling Nitto Ridge Grapplers at 285/60/18. I've tried digging around but can't find anyone with an LR4 that is running them. The diameter on their site says 31.69. I know some of you are running that size, but then there are posts where the same size has a slightly different diameter due to the tread.

Then there's the spare issue. I'm assuming I'll have to air it down, but is it going to fit with that diameter.

They must have added that size quite recently, I checked that tire a couple of years ago when it was time to replace my Nittos and ended up with another set of Terra Grappler G2s (E-load) instead - same size - which is actually a good enough tread for my type of use, 90% paved road. Therefore, I can't imagine too many owners having hands-on experience with them quite yet. Although the diameter is slightly larger than the 285/60 Terras I run, surely due to the more aggressive lugs of the Ridge Grapplers, it is still well below 32", so my somewhat educated guess is that it should fit with minimal rubbing at full steering lock or compression as your running wheel, and you will likely need to pretty much deflate it to almost nothing to jam it up the spare wheel well.

Let us know how it goes if you do decide to go that route, on paper that looks like another nice choice for those of us running 18" wheels and wishing for something a bit more aggressive than an AT but not quite as uncompromising and uncomfortable as a full blown Mud Terrain tire.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They must have added that size quite recently, I checked that tire a couple of years ago when it was time to replace my Nittos and ended up with another set of Terra Grappler G2s (E-load) instead - same size - which is actually a good enough tread for my type of use, 90% paved road. Therefore, I can't imagine too many owners having hands-on experience with them quite yet. Although the diameter is slightly larger than the 285/60 Terras I run, surely due to the more aggressive lugs of the Ridge Grapplers, it is still well below 32", so my somewhat educated guess is that it should fit with minimal rubbing at full steering lock or compression as your running wheel, and you will likely need to pretty much deflate it to almost nothing to jam it up the spare wheel well.

Let us know how it goes if you do decide to go that route, on paper that looks like another nice choice for those of us running 18" wheels and wishing for something a bit more aggressive than an AT but not quite as uncompromising and uncomfortable as a full blown Mud Terrain tire.

Ah, so 32 is the break point diameter. I was convinced for some reason (I couldn't find the exact post) it was 31.50. That's good to hear. Two sites say to different things regarding whether they will fit or not. Looks like I'll be the guinnea pig.

The only thing that has me second guessing things now is the way the guy at Discount T was pushing the Terra Grapplers. Nitto doesn't offer a mileage warranty on the Ridge Grapplers so according to the sales guy if you drive off and only get 2k miles out of them that's it. The Terra Grapplers have a 65k warranty so if they don't last that long they replace them. Terras are cheaper too but not by a ton. Reviews I've seen have mostly come from Toyota and Jeep sites which pretty much universally praise them over the TG.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They must have added that size quite recently, .

I got excited at first thinking LR makes the covers for bigger sizes like 32", which is probably unlikely. :( Wonder what the D90 used and if that would fit over a 275/65-18?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut