Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to add one more detail to the mix. I figured someone might be interested in how the spare fit. As I mentioned, it is aired down and the heat shield/valance piece removed.
Regardless of that one detail, I'm not sure I've ever gotten quite so excited about a set of tires and rims.

Another thing worth mentioning. The guy at Discount Tire that did the install didn't think they were going to fit until he tightened the lugs. The caliper touched slightly until he did that and as others have mentioned, there's just the tiniest amount of room (he said credit card width) between the caliper and rim.

spare.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just grind off about 2mm at the two tight spots on the caliper i did more when i was making 17's fit with spacers.

looks great

tetontrees

Reaction score
19s, anyone?
howdy gents. 15 LR4 currently on OEM 19s. Soon adding lift rods and will probably -1 to an 18inch rim (BR mozambiques most likely) But before I order tires/rims just wanted to verify that there still aren't many good replacement options in the 19inch size. I was hoping to utilize my OEM 19 inch rims. It's my wife's car so the on road experience is perhaps more important over off-road capability. nervous about KO2s or similar being too noisy at speed. If I do find a 19 inch tire. What would be the corresponding size to the 265/65R18s? many thanks! PS. managed to cut the Goodyear Wrangler HPs on some rocks and woke to a flat. had to limp home 400 miles on the donut. fun. full size spare will be on the shopping list for sure!
IMG_6208.JPG

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
19s, anyone?
howdy gents. 15 LR4 currently on OEM 19s. Soon adding lift rods and will probably -1 to an 18inch rim (BR mozambiques most likely) But before I order tires/rims just wanted to verify that there still aren't many good replacement options in the 19inch size. I was hoping to utilize my OEM 19 inch rims. It's my wife's car so the on road experience is perhaps more important over off-road capability. nervous about KO2s or similar being too noisy at speed. If I do find a 19 inch tire. What would be the corresponding size to the 265/65R18s? many thanks! PS. managed to cut the Goodyear Wrangler HPs on some rocks and woke to a flat. had to limp home 400 miles on the donut. fun. full size spare will be on the shopping list for sure!

There is a separate thread for the 19 inch wheels: http://www.landroverworld.org/threads/the-lr4-19inch-tire-dilemma.29080/

The short of it is there are really only a few options (Cooper Zeon LTZ, Wrangler Duratrac, Continental Somethingorothers), and only in the stock size.

Don't waste your money on the lift rods.

tetontrees

Reaction score
There is a separate thread for the 19 inch wheels: http://www.landroverworld.org/threads/the-lr4-19inch-tire-dilemma.29080/

The short of it is there are really only a few options (Cooper Zeon LTZ, Wrangler Duratrac, Continental Somethingorothers), and only in the stock size.

Don't waste your money on the lift rods.

thank you, ryan! I'll check out that thread, but am accepting the fact I should just move to 18s. and not a fan of the lift rods? so you just recommend using the IID tool for the lift?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the IID Tool is best, but the real issue is that "lifting" the LR4 doesn't really let you fit bigger tires. The limitation on tire size is hitting the frame when you turn the front wheels, and lifting the vehicle only exacerbates this issue.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the IID Tool is best, but the real issue is that "lifting" the LR4 doesn't really let you fit bigger tires. The limitation on tire size is hitting the frame when you turn the front wheels, and lifting the vehicle only exacerbates this issue.

Thank you for trying to spread the word. Too many people don’t stop to think through the geometry movement of this independent suspension design.

tetontrees

Reaction score
@ryanjl interesting. thanks for that perspective. so what is the ideal solution that gives you a larger tire without that concern regarding altering the suspension geometry? should I just upgrade to a beefier tire in the stock size or at least same diameter size if changing rim size?

when I first started looking into bigger tires and lifting the vehicle lift rods or lift via tool seemed like a no-brainer. as i dig further I am not so sure. I do really like the look of the raised vehicle with bigger tires filling the wheel wells, but if it sacrifices off road capability too greatly then not worth it.

only a few months into having my LR4 so catching up on a a lot. thanks to all you OG LR peeps for the guidance even when my questions have been asked and answered countless times. i swear I do use the search feature and read and try to find the answers on my own first. :)

Thank you for trying to spread the word. Too many people don’t stop to think through the geometry movement of this independent suspension design.

and @jwest thank you as well for all your knowledge and insights. i see many of your contributions as I dig through the archives...lived in Seattle for 20 years now Jackson, WY.

anson

LR4_FUEL.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"lifted" does look super cool, trust me, i agree! However, rods do not provide any lift. They merely apply what the vehicle can do on it's own. One of the downsides to using the rods is that you loose that much downtravel in the struts.

If you really want to have the lift but retain most of the good engineering, you'll need to step up to installing the strut spacers and everything that goes along with that route.

The standard wheel well area modifications will allow 32, 33" tires with almost no issues at all and do not require any 'lift' rods. Anyone selling them and telling you otherwise is an unethical ******.

tetontrees

Reaction score
The standard wheel well area modifications will allow 32, 33" tires with almost no issues at all and do not require any 'lift' rods. Anyone selling them and telling you otherwise is an unethical ******.
@jwest Good To Know. I will begin research on the "standard wheel well area modifications"
Sounds like the rods lead to reduced articulation and therefore lower off-road capability because of the reduced tire to ground contact?
Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV