Exhaust Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had mine cut off for a while know and I have never noticed any odor in the cabin. I didn't do anything but cut it off either.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, we thought about that and are monitoring it, it was one of my first concerns. So far no issue with the direction spouts we put on to direct the flow any direction we like, they swivel.

We can modify those easy enough if needed. I have let them idle quite a while stationary to see how they work, so far they seem to be directed just far enough to the rear to minimize it. As I use them more in the field I will get a better feel for it.

Thanks for sharing that mod. I am considering it for my trip to Moab. I live here in So. Cal. and would like to see that close up and in use on the trail.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe somebody could check if the exhaust is getting into the cabin with one of those home carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is odorless and invisible, so it can be tricky to detect.

Trynian

Reaction score
Maybe somebody could check if the exhaust is getting into the cabin with one of those home carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is odorless and invisible, so it can be tricky to detect.

We went out yesterday to test things out and all worked great. We had a CM detector in one and there was none detected.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume there would there not be any issues passing the stupid CA smog test because the cut is after the CAT and your only removing the muffler correct? that is if I want to not have the bolt on option and run the cut version all the time.

Trynian

Reaction score
I assume there would there not be any issues passing the stupid CA smog test because the cut is after the CAT and your only removing the muffler correct? that is if I want to not have the bolt on option and run the cut version all the time.

There are actually 4 mufflers and 2 cats (one for each side). The 2 cats are way up front. Then a front muffler and the cut is just after the mid muffler which removes the 2 rear mufflers.

So I can't see why it would not pass.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not know the dimpled canister (#8 on the diagram) was just a silencer, I always thought that was the cat! thanks for posting up that diagram. I agree, the two silencers aft of everything are definitely sacrificial. I had done a trim job on mine once, in the field, after crushing the pipes around the diff area during a trail. One question for you, and I ask because I know I had to deal with this once, but I can't remember what I did....there are four O2 sensors, two near the exhaust manifold, and two aft. Did this mod effect that? I sorta think it did on mine, but I really can't remember now.

Trynian

Reaction score
I did not know the dimpled canister (#8 on the diagram) was just a silencer, I always thought that was the cat! thanks for posting up that diagram. I agree, the two silencers aft of everything are definitely sacrificial. I had done a trim job on mine once, in the field, after crushing the pipes around the diff area during a trail. One question for you, and I ask because I know I had to deal with this once, but I can't remember what I did....there are four O2 sensors, two near the exhaust manifold, and two aft. Did this mod effect that? I sorta think it did on mine, but I really can't remember now.

The sensors are located before and after the 2 cats up front. If I understand the manual right, on each side one measures the exhaust before entering the cat and then the other checks it after the cat and adjusts the engine.

Neither Mark or I noticed any issue with having the last 2 silencers off.

DWELCH

Reaction score
If anyone's still on this thread (I know I'm behind) I see the magnaflow kit has one muffler that replaces all four and continues out the rear with pipe. Could I, or has anyone, cut the pipe between the mid muffler and the larger silencer behind it? I'd like to remove the large silencer and run straight pipes in its place so the exhaust still exits in the rear but does not pass through the silencer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV