Exhaust Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Munro

Reaction score
Just got a used LR3 and stumbled across this old post. I would really like to do this mod. Any follow up/feedback over the last ~8 years from doing this? Pros? Cons?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5288BC38-9152-43AB-9AA2-F7D488C23981.jpeg
What a crazy and extensive solution to a small problem that still doesn’t address the more important issue of the low and fully exposed rear differential. No offense but I think there’s at least a reason or two why no cars have the exhaust exit under the middle of the vehicle.

I can really appreciate the project here but totally disagree with the route taken.

I just put a big ass steel diff guard on and there’s basically zero chance the exhaust will get touched.

Mine is however a Magnaflow now and i had the routing be as snug as possible especially where it turns upward from behind the axle. It’s exits are higher than factory and fully flush under the trailing and side edges of the steel bumper.

I don’t have a tire under there either, but rather another fuel tank.

0BC3D077-81E3-4A43-BB64-DA616D4A20E9.jpeg

DPetty2994

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 8209 What a crazy and extensive solution to a small problem that still doesn’t address the more important issue of the low and fully exposed rear differential. No offense but I think there’s at least a reason or two why no cars have the exhaust exit under the middle of the vehicle.

I can really appreciate the project here but totally disagree with the route taken.

I just put a big ass steel diff guard on and there’s basically zero chance the exhaust will get touched.

Mine is however a Magnaflow now and i had the routing be as snug as possible especially where it turns upward from behind the axle. It’s exits are higher than factory and fully flush under the trailing and side edges of the steel bumper.

I don’t have a tire under there either, but rather another fuel tank.

View attachment 8208

Where did you source that diff cover?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you source that diff cover?

It's cool right?! ;) Direct from company when they were clearing out US stock. They may still have some things but I may also be starting to produce something similar soon. I've met a guy in town who is aircraft tig aluminum certified and also has worked on several desert race trucks, as well as custom show car exhaust systems that cost more than the cars many of us drive! He opened my eyes to the difference in engineering many of these parts we see are using compared to serious custom racing prototypes.

Rubber Cow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's cool right?! ;) Direct from company when they were clearing out US stock. They may still have some things but I may also be starting to produce something similar soon. I've met a guy in town who is aircraft tig aluminum certified and also has worked on several desert race trucks, as well as custom show car exhaust systems that cost more than the cars many of us drive! He opened my eyes to the difference in engineering many of these parts we see are using compared to serious custom racing prototypes.

Interested in your progress towards a Tig-welded Al version

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JWEST,

I like your approach to two areas here:

1) Addressing the OP's main concern, and still keeping the exhaust going AWAY from the cabin of the vehicle. I would be concerned about carbon monoxide, given that it is odorless and insidious. Just because you can't smell exhaust, doesn't mean you're safe...

2) Getting the spare tire out from under the vehicle and putting another fuel cell there.

I'd like to see more images of the armoring that was done, and what you might be doing in the future.

I think these types of upgrades are valuable.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI- my underneath photo may be confusing due to seeing TWO central mufflers. The larger one at rear (bottom of photo) is the main/standard muffler. The 2nd is actually a combo X-pipe/muffler to help with the drone and loudness.

Anyone who says these aftermarket systems with downpipes aren't much louder is either deaf or a ***** or a liar trying to fool themselves and you because they just think it sounds cool. It is at least 20% louder and there is drone at the common 2200-2500 rpm zone.

"straight pipes" at the rear, removing the smaller end mufflers would be idiotic. I cannot imagine how ridiculous it would sound if simply cut off in front of the rear axle. An lr3 is not an orv park buggy that you trailer to roll and wreck on the weekends....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA