[FAQ] Power/mileage/tune-up mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am moving this FAQ to me page. Carl here will write new one, with cool street mods and stuff.

Good luck Carl :)

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cold air intake, plenum temperature

Sergei, your statement is wrong, you should have a correction on your cold air statment that no power would be gained. I'm running a cold air from behind the left headlight, this is at least 50 degrees (F) cooler on a 70 degree (F) day than under hood temperatures. There is a significant power difference that you can feel besides alot less detonation problems pulling ******* a hot day. Another thing if you restrict the hot coolant flow to the plenum cover you will lower the inlet air temp hence higher air density, more power and reduce the chance of detonation. Carl....o&o>........

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
minisnorkel? impact cold air = power gains

sergei, a 3" (7.0686 sq/inch area) intake to the airbox that fits over the intake stub on the airbox isn't a "minisnorkel", leave your ***** out of this topic. This intake fits thru a hole in the radiator support behind the left headlamp were it gets pressurized impact air from the grill area from forward travel. Stick your hand out the window at 60-70 mph, normal highway speeds and pack that into the motor. I installed a Magnehelic gauge to the airbox, factory stock had vacuum readings, cold air impact air at highway speeds had positive pressure readings. Show me a motor that makes the same power or only a couple of horsepower thru a large intake improvement please. Remember the 3% horsepower loss per 1,000 foot elevation gain rule? Sorry if i offended you private parts. Carl......o&o>.........

F

FunkyFresh

Anyone have any experience with a custom fabricated catback with like a flowmaster or something? What do you folks think of those clear corner turn signals? Technically they aren't a "power" mod but in my opinion they would make the disco 1 and 2's look kinda bmw m3ish. It just doesn't seem worth the $150+. I wish K&N or someone made a cold air intake, but so far all I've seen is the snorkle style thing (don't get me wrong, I totally want one if I could afford it)...haha I am so serious too, that's what's scary.

I think my car has pretty good pick up (disco 1)... I'm using low grade fuel though... didn't realize it needed "the good stuff" as they say. If I just give it like mid grade octane I think it will have plenty of power. The chips are also tempting, but for me $500 or $600 is a lot of gas money to "blow" basically... not that it's not worth the extra fun... I'm just on a performance budget.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FunkyFresh said:
Anyone have any experience with a custom fabricated catback with like a flowmaster or something?

While i have been out from market for past 9months - there used to be numerous attempts on that one. Basically by now all the Disco1s pretty much got to have nearly custom ones :) As in - replaced cats and muffler, or even piping. Even without piping replacement you can get some juice out of yer Disco, but 2.25/2.5" are pretty damn restrictive, so if you really really looking for some througout you got to upgrade pipes and muffler and of course (oh yeah!) those nasty manifolds (which are concidentally good place to start looking if your mileage going down - they tend to get cracks as truck aging). Joey got custom manifolds, and have very good article about setting them. Just try to look around in old posts :) Many got high flow cats (old ones are well dead by now) and mufflers (old ones are rusting through anyway).

R

rickmassey

Why is this even a sticky... It looks like the tail end of an argument as opposed to a faq?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick