Faulty Oil Pump Bolt???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

RoverDisco98

Pulled this post from another where we were discussing Discos. Anyone hear of this problem??

""Hello Disco owners and possible future owners, Just saw this very hour a show about consumer warnings, Seems that Land rover is having some major troubles, specifically with TD5 land rover disco owners. What is occuring is that a 90 pence bolt that attaches the oil pump cog to the oil pump is working itself loose and ending any oil pressure in the engine. Land rover is refusing to repair these cars under implied warranties of merchantability and folks have to pay 6 to 6500 pounds for a new engine. Quite surprising to see a show on the discoveries when we were talking about them on here, Might be worth a gander at some land rover sites to find out more about this problem. I do not know how widespread the problem is but it sounds like a large enough problem over here to be on tv. The show presenters said that Land rover is trying to keep info private between owners and what they are doing in specific cases to save money, They said some folks were being offered some money and others were being offered nothing.""

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TD5 Problems

There has come to light a potential problem with the oil pump sprocket securing bolt working loose on Td5 engines.

At present there are no definite causes or list of affected vehicles, but it is worth being aware of the problem.

It seems that there is an assembly problem causing the bolt securing the drive sprocket on the oil pump to work loose. The bolt in highlighted in red below, is found on the left hand side of the bottom of the engine, and is accessed by removing the sump from the engine.

oilpumpbolt1.gif

The problem symptoms are a loss of oil pressure causing the oil pressure warning light to illuminate in the instrument panel.

The effects of the problem may depend on how quickly the engine is shut down. Minimal damage, caused by a loose bolt only, may only require a new sprocket and bolt. However, if the bolt comes totally free, major engine damage can occur, including big end shells and main bearing shells scoring, and swarf in the sump oil. This will require complete engine replacement.

You can check the bolt by removing the sump. According to the workshop manual for the Defender and Discovery Td5 (which you can find here), the oil pump sprocket retaining bolt should have Loctite 242 applied to the threads, and tightened to 25 Nm (18 lbf.ft).

I found all of this on the web, with a link a form you can fill out to get more information here. There you can find more pictures of the problem as well.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To remove sump

1. Using sequence shown in the attached picture, progressively slacken,
then remove 22 bolts securing sump to cylinder block.
2. Remove sump

Feel free to post anymore questions.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you copyright the material, Martin? If not, pipe down and be flattered someone used your material.

That said, Sam could've simply said "do a search in the 'Resources' section of the site and you'll find articles on this" -- instead he saved the person asking the question a step and posted it here.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martin,

Next time I will for sure mention that I used your site. You have lots of information to offer. Thanks.

M

MartinL

Moose

I don't think it's a case of 'pipe down and be flattered', it's my original material and it was a bit cheeky to copy it and link to my image without a reference.

FYI The material is copyright (see my About page). I don't mind the information being used, but would appreciate a link so that people know where it has come from, and can see the other info available on my site.

Basically, it's polite, and Sam has said he will reference my site next time, so all's well.

1988 Defender 90 Td5 NAS Replica
www.web-rover.co.uk

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:wavey: Cool. I saw that on your site.

Andy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member