First-time LR owner from WA (USA)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captain Sygo

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

About a month ago, after several months of research and searching for the right vehicle, I finally pulled the trigger on a 2005 LR3. The information on this and other forums was amazingly helpful in teaching me what to look for in a used rig, how to think about LR3 ownership, and did a lot to convince me that this is the right sort of vehicle for me. Based on the advice here and elsewhere, I did a pre-purchase inspection on the vehicle, found that some of the reliably problematic issues had already been dealt with (control arm bushings, sunroof drains), and the LR indy mechanic who looked at it said that it was in remarkably good shape for its age. I've absolutely loved the vehicle so far, bought an IID tool right away, and have been having fun learning about operating and working on the vehicle. A few days ago, I finally had the chance to take it out for some off-roading and was blown away with its ability to crawl over anything. Sleeping in the back in solitude under the stars was great! I did notice a new suspension knock partway through the 40 mile hardscrabble route, so I drove more cautiously the rest of the way. I'm suspecting sway bar bushings, but that's just a guess at this point.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who post to this site - your experiences and knowledge have been very helpful to this newcomer.

Here's a picture of the rig from my little adventure.

-Captain Sygo

Unknown-7.jpeg

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, and great pic.

XLR8TOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome...I've had my 2014 LR for a few months now and I'm getting used to the way it handles off-road which is a bit different than the Jeep I had. It's definitely more comfortable getting to the trails though...the Jeep beat me up a bit.

Captain Sygo

Reaction score
Since the '80's I've been fantasizing about getting a classic Landcruiser (FJ40), and was thinking that the time was right to do that. However, after I started reading about how rough they are on the body during long road trips, the luster of that dream started to wear off. Having recently restored a 1947 Ford 1 ton, I had a sense of what a rough, tractor-like ride was like and really didn't want any part of it in what was to become my daily driver and off-road rig. The LR3 seemed like the perfect solution for being able to hit the ratty roads I wanted to drive and to get to those roads in comfort. A month in, I'm really happy I made that decision!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut