First Winter Drive...

Discussion in 'LR4' started by toddjb122, Jan 5, 2018.

1. toddjb122

toddjb122 Full Access Member

Looking nice!
    Great tires. I'll have to see if they make them in 19s.

2. gsxr

gsxr Active Member

I just bought a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV winter tires for our LR4 a few months ago, mounted on an extra set of LR4 wheels with TPM sensors off eBay (one was bent, as is typical for used wheels from eBay. Sigh.)

Anyway, as with most true snow tires, they are only effective on ice & snow for the first 40-50% of their tread depth. The Nokian R2 have multiple indicators on the tread so you can tell at what point they will lose effectiveness on snow/ice. You don't want to run them year-round as the soft rubber compound is designed for use in temps below freezing. In summer, they would wear rapidly. Ideally, you only mount them when temps are around freezing in the morning (November-ish) and remove them when temps stay above freezing (March/April/May, depending where you live).

Once the snow tires reach the ~50% point where they are no longer effective on ice/snow, they effectively become a 3-season tire and you can run them in spring/summer/fall to burn up the remaining tread.

;)

COangela and toddjb122 like this.
  3. pceresia

pceresia Member

My 2016 LR4 loves our winters in Ottawa Canada but I don’t so it’s going to help me escape to Key West. Margarita I’ll here I come.

4. ktm525

ktm525 Full Access Member

No doubt.

I am currently running Toyo Open Country G-02 Observes and they are decent however it has been an icy winter and I think the next set will be studded Nokians (Hakka 8 or 9).

5. jhartz

jhartz Active Member

My RRS had no trouble in 11.5" of snow with Firestone A/S Destinations.

Saw a cartoon a couple of days ago: two panel, guy on the East Coast worries about this storm they had yesterday, "we called it a bombcyclone;" second panel, a lady in the MidWest says "we called it Thursday!"

COangela likes this.
  6. gsxr

gsxr Active Member

LOL... found it via Google. :)

bomb-cyclone.jpg

COangela, jhartz and manoftaste like this.
  7. manoftaste

manoftaste Full Access Member

Spyder13 likes this.
  8. backcountryLR4

backcountryLR4 Full Access Member

Running BFG KO2s on compos which are much better than the all seasons on my stock 20's, but don't compare to the Blizzak WS80s on my Infiniti G35xS.

Anything less than 8" of snow and I choose the Infiniti, it just handles so amazingly well in snow with those tires. The Land Rover doesn't quite compare unfortunately... Prolly helps that the Infiniti weighs literally a ton less and has a much lower center of gravity(and is built for driving on the road...).

I know the the BFGs are not a true winter tire, but they are triple snow-flake rated and are arguably the best snow traction AT tire available. I am debating getting the Nokians for my OEM 20s, but I hate how those wheels look with their pitiful sidewall ratio. (My black 20's look great as a wheel, but not with rubber IMO)

Also, with 5 mint condition black OEM 20" wheels, I am reluctant to use and abuse them as a winter setup. I have already beat up my compos in less than a year, cause well, I used them off-road...

9. Spyder13

Spyder13 Member

Loved driving my LR3’s up to Stowe every ski season. Now drive my 2016 LR4 up to Burke in the summer for mountain biking.

FCDF744D-C402-4665-B99F-31BD4D1D5FD7.jpeg

cperez likes this.