Fluttering and Thumping sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cnswift

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has had this happen. When the rear seats are folded down and the rear window is down and you're on the freeway there is an odd fluttering and very loud thumping sound that happens. The thumping is too loud to have the window open! My dog is very sad. Is this repairable or just a design flaw? Thanks

cnswift

Reaction score
Update: it's a design flaw. Reverberation per the dealer. It also happens with or without the seats folded down. Work-around = crack the front windows to balance the air flow.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: it's a design flaw. Reverberation per the dealer. It also happens with or without the seats folded down. Work-around = crack the front windows to balance the air flow.

Definitely reverberation. And you mention a good fix. Our Touareg was *terrible* about this - if you opened the sunroof all the way it had so much reverberation that I thought it would blow out the other windows. Terrible design flaw IMO. Haven't noticed it on the LR3, but we don't drive much with the windows down.

-Rich

Shermie

Reaction score
Be careful, some cars will suck exhaust fumes into the cabin. Cracking a side window may help.

cnswift

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. Yup reverberation for sure. Cracking the windows does help to mostly eliminate it. Tires were brand new at the time.

Cheers!:bandit::bandit:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi