Found an LR4, a couple pre-purchase questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Todd, you can take the full size spare from your LR3 and put in on a non-HD LR4 and you won't get a TPMS error message. (That is exactly what I did on mine)

However, the spare tire pressure is monitored if you have the HD pack and it came with a full size spare. (My wife's LR4)

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, knock some sense into me guys. I'm currently down to two cars. Not pressured to make a decision, but they're both here now. Most of the cars out there are base units. So the pickings at LUX are slim and the rear diff cars are just about absent entirely. Note, these prices may seem high, but if you buy a base unit you can get some 2012s/2013s in the high 20s, low 30s. Many CPO. Okay, everyone likes to pick favorites, here we go;

2013 HSE LUX - $41K, 54K miles (CarMax)
Nara Bronze with dark brown seats which I haven't seen anywhere else.
Rear seat entertainment package
Unique Options
DVD PLAYER REGION 1
DVD SCREEN
HEADPHONES-WIRELESS
REAR VIEW CAMERA
XENON HEADLAMPS-NAS
LESS AUTO HIGH BEAM​

2013 HSE LUX - $37K, 43K miles (Dealer CPO)
Loire Blue, tan interior
Looks like standard LUX package
Unique Options
ADAPTIVE BI-XENON H/LMP NAS
AUTO DIP FRT/RR HIGH BEAM AST
SURROUND CAMERA SYSTEM​

Both cars are off lease. I haven't seen either yet. I have to transfer the CarMax one up from Florida and I suspect purchase an extended warranty for that. So, with the transfer fee and the warranty, that car is really costing me $46K

I know that the blue lux is the better call. $8K less. it'd come down from NY so may have more road salt issues on the underside. The one from Florida, likely not and I don't think it's been on sand.

But I do like the look of that Nara Bronz.... That'd be my color pick and I really like the interior. Kids would be stoked with the rear seat entertainment and I'd like not having to put those stupid temporary DVD players up before every car trip. It's an option I would not pay for new, but it'd be a bonus to have in used.

I'm not sure if I'd get the blue one for $37K. My dealer may charge me to transfer it down from NY or think of some fee as they have an identical one on the lot, that isn't CPO for $40K. That's the one I saw which was pretty beat up.

Exterior color aside, which vehicle would you buy?

Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go blue myself. Make sure the CPO warranty is included in the price (sometimes it is advertised as is but isn't).

Now I don't have kids and prefer books so...

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like our Rear Seat Entertainment feature for the kids, (that was the one feature my wife wanted on my LR4) but I wouldn't decide based on that. I would want to see both and decide based on what the maintenance history and wear and tear looked like. I'd want to know what the previous owner's mentality was (you can tell if you look for clues). Choosing based on remote cars seems pretty impossible to me, but I am picky.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I would want to see both and decide based on what the maintenance history and wear and tear looked like. I'd want to know what the previous owner's mentality was (you can tell if you look for clues). Choosing based on remote cars seems pretty impossible to me, but I am picky.
Good advice from you two thus far. Thanks. Be interested to see what other folks pick.
Is that surround cam feature a benefit or just a novelty I'll never use? I heard that they are all tied together and if one video line gets damaged, your entire NAV goes out! Don't know if that's true. It's not something I think I'd ever use other than to show people. It is nice that I get the headlight upgrade with it, though.

I will get to examine both vehicles in person before buying, but perhaps not at the same time. The blue one can be here in days, the Florida one weeks.

So, it could be a matter of if I see the blue one and it looks cherry, I go for it. Cancel any progress on the brown one. If the blue one looks beat up and/or they want big $$ for the CPO, I can wait on the brown.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that surround cam feature a benefit or just a novelty I'll never use? I heard that they are all tied together and if one video line gets damaged, your entire NAV goes out! Don't know if that's true. It's not something I think I'd ever use other than to show people. It is nice that I get the headlight upgrade with it, though.

That's not true. If one goes "Blue Screen Of Death", the others will continue working (unless the camera module itself goes bad - but that's not common.) The surround cameras used to be trouble on the first couple of years of production, but the ones on my 2013 at least have been flawless. Having said that... You won't use them much. The two front bumper ones are redundant and kinda useless - basically both showing the same image in front of your eyes, give or take a few degrees. They don't show much of a useful side view anyway since they are mounted on the front of the bumper. The two mounted under the side mirrors show a decent view of your front tires, front doors and curb, so the passenger side in particular could really be useful in certain off-roading situations where you need to watch for a rock, a ledge, or carefully place that tire on your blind side. All cameras operate at any speed via the menu on the touchscreen. Their definition is mediocre during the day and terrible at night, but good enough for their intended purpose I guess. Finally, the rear camera of the surround camera system has got bending lines that predict your trajectory when backing up, which is nice (the models without surround cameras only show static yellow lines.)

The adaptive headlights are nice - but you won't miss them if you've never had them. The auto high beams work very well - much better than I expected. That's probably the best feature of the Vision Assist package for me.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't you say that the bronze one was a demo or loaner for the first 7000 miles? That can be a rough break-in period.

So I probably vote for the blue one. Lower cost, lower miles, LUX & CPO warranty. Being a CPO vehicle, have the dealer print out the dealer maintenance history for you. And check the Carfax too.

If a dealer is willing to CPO a vehicle, it has to be in somewhat decent shape. If you find a low mileage LR4 on a random car lot, there may be a reason why it failed the CPO criteria. (Bad accident, water damage, bad cigarette odor, pet odor, etc.)

I know you are anxious, but take your time and get what you want. You are going to spend more money than what many new cars cost and you will have it for many years. It took me a couple of months of shopping before my Gray LR4 appeared in a dealership 1000 miles away.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't you say that the bronze one was a demo or loaner for the first 7000 miles? That can be a rough break-in period.

So I probably vote for the blue one. Lower cost, lower miles, LUX & CPO warranty. Being a CPO vehicle, have the dealer print out the dealer maintenance history for you. And check the Carfax too.

If a dealer is willing to CPO a vehicle, it has to be in somewhat decent shape. If you find a low mileage LR4 on a random car lot, there may be a reason why it failed the CPO criteria. (Bad accident, water damage, bad cigarette odor, pet odor, etc.)

I know you are anxious, but take your time and get what you want. You are going to spend more money than what many new cars cost and you will have it for many years. It took me a couple of months of shopping before my Gray LR4 appeared in a dealership 1000 miles away.
I was able to get the carfax of this brown LUX and for the first 7000 it was a dealer fleet vehicle, then it went to personal lease. If I get that car, I choose to believe it was driven by the general manager or something instead of being the loaner. :) Seriously, it is more nicely optioned than any loaner I've ever received. And it has this dark brown leather that I can't find mentioned anywhere. I'm going with special order. (it'll make me feel better if I buy this one, anyway)

I'm currently working both angles. The dealer with the Blue CPO isn't responding to me OR my dealer who is asking about a transfer (both dealerships are owned by the same parent)

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the Carfax warranty vs. CPO, you might have better luck getting the Carfax one to pay for the inevitable control arm busing replacements. It seems that is an extreme rarity to get a dealer to do it under the CPO.

But, for the price difference, you could pay to have it done several times and break even between the two.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut