Front Windshield Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my front heated windshield replaced with the same supported by my insurance co. But, ever since I've had the occasional but persistent leak in the center and right front corner when we get a heavy rain.
My glass shop has tried to fix it about 6 times - they're highly regarded in the Boston area and I've used them before without issue. They've been as frustrated as I have been about stopping the leak.
Point is I started taking my LR3 to Overland Boston in Malden, MA and they told me about a LR bulletin that was sent out regarding this issue in LR3s. It involves bondo in the door post to help reseal the area. Bondo?!

My question is: Has anyone else had this problem and has anyone else seen or does anyone know of this LR3 bulletin?
I ask because even my LR3 dealership in Bedford, NH couldn't duplicate the issue and didn't mention this bulletin when I last asked about a year-ish ago.

Let me know.
Thanks!

schwaggy

Reaction score
I had my front heated windshield replaced with the same supported by my insurance co. But, ever since I've had the occasional but persistent leak in the center and right front corner when we get a heavy rain.
My glass shop has tried to fix it about 6 times - they're highly regarded in the Boston area and I've used them before without issue. They've been as frustrated as I have been about stopping the leak.
Point is I started taking my LR3 to Overland Boston in Malden, MA and they told me about a LR bulletin that was sent out regarding this issue in LR3s. It involves bondo in the door post to help reseal the area. Bondo?!

My question is: Has anyone else had this problem and has anyone else seen or does anyone know of this LR3 bulletin?
I ask because even my LR3 dealership in Bedford, NH couldn't duplicate the issue and didn't mention this bulletin when I last asked about a year-ish ago.

Let me know.
Thanks!

Perhaps from the A-Pillar and not actually your windshield...? Where is the water pooling?
See this PDF. http://tinyurl.com/qhnrvdx

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, there are two areas where it can leak from. One is exactly what schwaggy posted. I believe if you order a new set of a-pillar clips, it comes with a "patch" to seal off one of the holes on the a-pillar where they've had water ingress issues.

The other location is, of course, the windshield cowl being deformed and allowing water to drip on delicate electronics. However, I'm not sure whether the cowl leak will actually result in water inside the cabin. Perhaps somebody who's had the problem can chime in on that?

schwaggy

Reaction score
Yup, there are two areas where it can leak from. One is exactly what schwaggy posted. I believe if you order a new set of a-pillar clips, it comes with a "patch" to seal off one of the holes on the a-pillar where they've had water ingress issues.

The other location is, of course, the windshield cowl being deformed and allowing water to drip on delicate electronics. However, I'm not sure whether the cowl leak will actually result in water inside the cabin. Perhaps somebody who's had the problem can chime in on that?

A leak from the fresh air intake under the cowl will result in a wet cabin air (pollen) filter and passenger floor.
Can't find the link at the moment, but there's a couple of good write ups at disco3.uk

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, one of the write ups in mine. Here is the link remove the spaces.

http :// disco3. co. uk/ forum/topic76762.html

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My leak is from the top of the inside of the windshield. The only water on the floor is what little drips down from there.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your sunroof is plugged it would run down the roof liner, might manifest itself with some drips out of the overhead console where the lights and sun roof switch are. It really does not seem like it should be that complicated to fit and seal a windscreen. I haven't had any leaks with my new one fitted luckily.

That is quite an odd problem.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently LR put out a bulletin on this issue. Don't know if it's an issue with replacement windshields that aren't specifically from LR or something else. But I gather it has to do with the clips there as well and the seals. They get folded under or something or else need to be replaced when the windshield is done. It's being taken care of now but it was freaking strange and frustrating.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...are you getting an OE windscreen? ...or at least getting Pilkington glass?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with Pilkington glass Non OEM.. Same thing and a lot cheaper, happy so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV