Gas smell after driving. No error codes. No visible leaks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have had the '13 LR4 a little over a month now and have noticed this smell but didn't think much of it until recently. (I thought the smell was due to a gas can stored in the garage, that I have since removed).

After driving, there is a gas odor near the passenger rear tire. It's getting worse.
If I stick my nose under the truck, it smells along the rear side of the tank.
Can't see any gas, no drips, and I'm not getting a check engine light.
My mechanic reported the same thing, although there was no gas smell when he looked. He's hesitant to drop the tank without seeing a leak or a code as it's a good bit of labor I'll be paying if he doesn't find anything. Could be somewhere else. Once we find something, my extended warranty should cover it.

I had this problem 12 years ago on my LR3. Had to push on the dealer a few times to finally get them to commit to finding it. When they finally dropped the tank they found gas around one of the ports on top of the tank. In that case, I only noticed the smell after filling up the tank. This time I get it after most drives.

My mechanic reluctantly suggested I go to the dealer, as they have equipment to do a pressure test and inject an inert colored smoke they can see coming out. There's one other non dealer mechanic I might try first, to see if they have similar equipment. (my local dealership is a pain in the butt).

Curious if anyone has experienced this and has some tips to locate the issue.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smoke test pointed to the DMTL Pump. I'm told part of that assembly is supposed to vent pressure differences between the tank and the outside, and perhaps the solenoid controlled plunger on mine is stuck full open.

Awaiting warranty approval, part, install and then follow-up testing to confirm the rest of the system is tight.

Good thing (for you) is that this very busy shop said they never see LR4s coming in with fuel smells. So it's a rare issue.

Manta-LR4

Reaction score
I have the same problem on my 2011 LR4. According to the service manual, the DMTL draws air from outside to pressurize fuel system and check for leaks after a drive. The fumes we are smelling should be directed from the charcoal canister to the intake manifold through the purge valve near the engine while engine on that way they get burned and we shouldn't smell them. The only reference on the manual to a fuel smell points to a bad purge valve. Please let us know if replacing the DMTL solves the problem, I was ready to change the purge valve until I saw your post. Thx.

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem on my 2011 LR4. According to the service manual, the DMTL draws air from outside to pressurize fuel system and check for leaks after a drive. The fumes we are smelling should be directed from the charcoal canister to the intake manifold through the purge valve near the engine while engine on that way they get burned and we shouldn't smell them. The only reference on the manual to a fuel smell points to a bad purge valve. Please let us know if replacing the DMTL solves the problem, I was ready to change the purge valve until I saw your post. Thx.
I'll let you know. When he did the smoke test it was pouring out of where the valve is, so he suspected it was just stuck open. Also, while any leaks should have caused an error, the DMTL is what runs the self tests for the computer so maybe this is an achilles heel of the system... if the pump assembly itself has a leak. ?

That said, I still have the gas smell after the fix. I'm going to wait out the weekend and see if it goes away. He said there could still be fuel up above the spare tire from it leaking for a long time. (I know, I thought it was fumes, not fuel.) We'll see. I hope this took care of it, but I'm skeptical. Current smell is still strong. I fear while we found something that may have been a problem, it wasn't the problem. I'll update next week...

Manta-LR4

Reaction score
Reading the manual further, there is an error code (P2450-00) for the change over valve (COV) of the DMTL pump when it is stuck open, however there is no error code when the purge valve is stuck closed (not purging fumes). I wonder if the dealer tested your purge valve to discard it and if they read that code before assuming the COV was stuck open. I'm going to try a few things to see if I can figure something out. Later!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting no error codes. No check engine light. My truck just smells like gas after I drive it. Putting it in a hot garage after a drive will make you nauseous!

Taking it back in this week, unfortunately. I know they avoid dropping the tank until they absolutely have to, but my suspicion is that there is a leak around a port on top of the tank. That said, everyone keeps telling me what a complex gas/fume system we have so who knows.

Manta-LR4

Reaction score
Went under the car yesterday and as I was jacking up the front I saw the leak for the 1st time and it was coming out through a hole in the tank cradle/shield near the right rear wheel, very small leak perhaps a couple of drops per minute. It is only w/ car at an angle that one can see the leak, when leveled, the leak is small enough that it evaporates inside the cradle before it drips. Couldn't see what's the cause but it is likely to be from the top lines/fittings/seals. Tough job to drop the tank in my garage, I'll have to head to the dealer too.

Last edited:

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my DII. Previous owner had the fuel pump module replaced among many other things. I would get check engine light in my case, but occassionally smelled gas, but not a lot. Shop went with DMTL valve replacement, light was off about two weeks, then came back.

Then one day I was at a gas pump that kept clicking off for some reason, so I wrestled with it, continually pumping more gas when all the sudden fuel poured out from underneath the truck! Hmm, clearly I reached the full point in the tank, but being a closed system, it should never do that! After that, the shop used air to test the lines and found a ginormous leak at the module. Upon removal, the sealing gasket had been squished too hard (or dropped) and was inside the tank. Put it back on properly and all was well.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is just a gripe post. Sharing the frustration. No solution yet.

First, just after the 30 day CarMax "we'll fix anything" period I concluded this was a problem and not a venting gas can in my garage.

Second, I mentioned it to my regular LR mechanic, who's great, but a small shop. Has diagnostic equipment for reading codes, is a certified LR mechanic, but doesn't have any of the higher dollar dealer equipment. He couldn't smell it when it was in, didn't doubt me, but as he didn't see any engine codes or leaks, he told me to go to the dealer. They'll have the smoke testing system to pump in inert gas and look for leaks.

Third, I went to a very good independent LR shop a bit further from my house. Not convenient, but highly recommended. They're more of a glossy shop with dual sites, all the equipment, certified mechanics and promise that "anything the dealer can do, we can do better. The tested the system as I noted above, replaced the DMTL pump and sent me on my way.

Fourth, As the gas smell had not diminished over the holiday weekend (it shows up after any drive) I went back in. Paid for a rental car so they could take the time they needed. For the 3rd time I told a shop, "if you come up empty drop the tank, I'll pay for the labor." There is fuel somewhere. They came up empty. They again fall back on the response I heard on my LR3 problem 12 years ago and have heard 3 times on my "new" LR4... "There can't be any leak or seepage or you'd see an error code." The system tests out air tight. They didn't drop the tank (I would have paid for it) but they punted and sent me to the dealer. Promising that they'll have super techs who should be able to figure this out. Again, it's a good shop and they didn't charge me for this second visit even though they spent some hours trying to debug it.

Fifth, called the dealer...they can't get me in for 12 days. :hmmmm2:
I'll see what they find.

I can tell you that there is a VERY STRONG gas smell after every drive, which lasts for several hours. Longer the drive, stronger the odor.

On my LR3 (that was under original factory warranty, the LR4 is under MaxCare extended) I had to push them to drop the tanks and they saw fuel on top seeping out of a system which is not supposed to let this happen without reporting codes. I'm not sure if that is the problem here or not. I keep hearing it is a complex system. There is a theory that perhaps my car is venting improperly, but all firmware is up to date, no codes reported, etc.

So, pretty frustrating to have a new car you want to go out on adventures with and to have it spending so many days in the shop. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have an answer to post. I can't see how such a strong odor can be so hard to find. I just have to get someone willing to take things apart and their nose should quickly lead to the source.

:dontknow:

Manta-LR4

Reaction score
So I went under the car again and dropped the tank. Cleaned the top flange and all connections and saw a crack on the outlet port. Reconnected the fuel line and power to the tank, started the engine and sure enough it was spraying a fuel mist through the crack.
339208a789ac146bcc84e6f6f2d44a2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA