Gasoline Brand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhb907

Reaction score
Last week I had an engine warning light that was possibly triggered by dirty fuel injectors. My LR dealership used B & G cleaner on the fuel system. They suggested that I only use fuel with cleaning additives, specifically recommending Chevron or Shell.

My vehicle is a 2006 HSE with 53,000 miles. I have always used premium fuel (91 octane in California). Up to now, I purchased most of my gasoline from COSTCO.

Any suggestions or experience with a fuel strategy?

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I lived in Santa Barbara, CA we used COSTCO a lot when they opened up there. However, back then - late 1990's - COSTCO used CONOCO for their fuel. I remember there were a number of reports of water or crud in their fuel. In general that's the problem with the cheaper, smaller gas shops. They don't have the money invested in the filters and cleaning systems to keep the water and such out of the fuel deliveries, and they get cheaper fuel deliveries than from the big name oil companies. There is very little profit margin on fuel anyway for gas stations. They make most of their money on the convenience store sales.
I would think that switching every so often would be a good way to help clean things out and keep it all running smoothly. Here in MA I've discussed the issue with my LR service dept. and they run 89 gas in most of their vehicles, more often than running Premium 91 octane. I found it curious that the manuals all say not to use Octane boosters or fuel system cleaners too.
Just my input.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer to use Chevron or Texaco bc they both have the techron additive. I use the techron fuel system cleaner in all my cars. There are no Chevron stations near me and the Texaco is not far but out of my way. Therefore I have been using BP or Shell. They both have additives, Invigorate is the BP additive and Shell claims their fuel is infused with nitrogen. I believe this is mostly marketing but they are quality gas none the less. Also here in Va we have 93

NickLR3HSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
COSTCO uses Exxon gas now. Use it regularly in the LR3 and have never had an issue. COSTCO's Premium 93 Octane is usually about 10 cents a gallon cheaper than any other station around.

MEDISIN

Reaction score
I stick with premium Shell and BP (93 in NC) in both my cars. The additives and fuel mileage make up for the small price difference. Would also use Texaco/Chevron premium in a heartbeat but they are few and far between here.

Unfortunately NC doesn't have labeling laws for ethanol in gas (did at one point but the law expired) so I have no clue how much if any ethanol is in premium fuels here.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always, always, always, stick to "Top Tier" gasolines. They have the proper additives to help keep the engine from getting fouled. "Top Tier" fuels are from the following:

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Buy cheap gas, pay the price later. Trust me.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with Toptier. Before I "matured", I drove various turbo-charged Suby's and a Cayman. The Suby's would have massive hesitation when accelerating hard ( punch throttle - wait - wait - go) and the Cayman would ping on hot days, loose power, and get bad gas mileage whenever I used anything else but Chevron Supreme. Anedotal, yes. I never use Shell, mainly because are local Shell charges 5-10 cents more than the Chevron across the street.

The Land Rovers seem much more tolerant of bad gas, but I still fill with Chevron Supreme.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut