gear shift locked in park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

redapple

Gear shift wont move on 98' Discovery,already checked fuses.Does anyone know where the relay switch is and how to reset it? Any other suggestions on how to unlock shift so I don't have to get it towed?

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is a relay switch, you can try unhooking the battery. However, it might not be the switch. Does the button on the gear shifter go all of the way in?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a C-Clip in the "T" part of the shift handle. Use a little screwdriver and pop off the top of the "T" handle. Loom for a little, itty bitty C-Clip. I'd bet it slipped off and jammed. The button even goes in then -- it just won't complete the mechanical step of moving the lever to change positions.

The relay is, IIRC, white, and is to the rear of the shift indicator on a D1. Unplugging it would also do the trick.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its brake switch, and it seems to be most common fault part for non shifting.
I believe EE sells it, as would most of land rover related sites.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooooh, Sergei could win the prize! I didn't think of that solution....

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andy - there is prize? :)

Thing is - when it stuck in park - that normally is that stupid switch thingy. But when you cant get key out when you think its in "park" - its more often than not that mechanical pulling tiny shaft that sits inside knob b/c its not putting lever in proper position (it aint got seated properly).

W

w00ht

Found this at atlantic british's web site while trying to research potential disco problems. This was the first thing on the list so it is probably real common. hope it helps.

http://www.atlanticbritish.com/techtips_main.html#discovery

Can't shift out of park - Troubleshooting
Vehicle - Land Rover Discovery and 1995 Range Rover Classic
Check to see if you have stoplights. No lights check:
a. Fuse f1 in the fascia fuse box ok? (Discovery, if the fuse the blows check the terminals on the back window grids making sure they are not touching each other causing a short. They get bent easily)
b. Inspect the brake light switch on the brake pedal (The brake light switch has four wires on it and the cruise switch has two wires and a vacuum line on it).
If switch is intact:
a. Jump the green/purple wire and the green/orange wire; the brake lights should come on enabling the shift out of park.
b. Caution! The brake lights will be on all the time. Have problem repaired as soon as possible. Also you may get an ABS fault stored.
If you have stoplights pop the top of the shift lever off and check to see if the clip on the button is intact. They have been known to come off and not lift the rod in the handle.
1992-1994 Range Rover Classic:
Same as above except: Dash fuse box fuse# B1 and jump wires: white/purple and green/purple at brake light switch #AMR2010G.

D

desmo118

If the clip is not the problem, there is a way to bypass the safety solenoid and shift out of park. At the base of the shift lever there is a solenoid that prevents you from shifting out of park if you don't have your foot on the brake pedal (only on U.S. models). Remove the center console by lifting from the front and then sliding it forward. Be careful, there is a wire attached to the bottom. At the base of the shift lever there is a button, (the solenoid), that you can depress and then you can shift out of park. Hope this helps.

P

p1anet1

Hi guys, I had exactly the same problem with my disco in the middle of a petrol station last xmas with a 26ft boat on behind. no matter what i did it wasnt moving its self from park!. in the end i crawed underneath droped the selector shaft and manually put it in drive to get it out of the way. The only way i could fix was to remove the centre consol etc and saber-saw of the safety interlock pin that for no other reason wasnt moving. Ok its a bit rough bit it wont do it again...ever!

L

LandRoverDirectService

I would recommend either taking the Discovery to an Approved Land Rover Centre and get the gearbox checked out or try removing the gearstick assembly.
If you do this make sure that the whole console comes out when the gearstick comes out. Check to make sure the locking pin is either ingauged or not. Another reason why the pin is locked is that the cable connecting the pin to the power may be damaged, shorting or broken. Try these and if it still doesn't work try taking it to Land Rover.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV