General thoughts on buying a 2011 LR4 with 100k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vulf

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the forum and as of yet uninitiated in the world of Land Rover. I drive a F150 but have recently decided to add a second off-road capable vehicle to the stable. I was looking for something that would be comfortable and safe, but also capable of good off-road and poor weather performance, while also being big enough to transport the entire family (two of us, one child, possibly another in the future, and three large dogs). As you can imagine the list got pretty small pretty quick. I'm thinking a LR4 might be the ticket but I'm a bit nervous about buying used, and a used LR especially.

I found a vehicle optioned the way a like it somewhat close by (I live in Montana, so by that I mean it's within a days drive) but it has pretty high mileage. 2011 LR4 HSE Lux with ~100k miles and still priced by the dealer around $23k.

I should mention that I was hoping to find something priced at $20k or less, with 80k miles or fewer, with the following options: HD, xenons, climate, and 19" wheels. Oh and not black. Any year LR4, doesn't really matter to me I don't think.

What are your thoughts about buying a 2011 LR4 with that many miles? Any concerns about the mileage, regardless of price? And then what do you think about the price? Seems high to me, I would have thought closer to 19-20 to be more appropriate. Carfax looks ok and it hasn't been in a salt state, but still...

Don't see a problem? Or, absolutely not! Or, maybe with a warranty and at the right price? Would love your feedback here, thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

brjp1

Reaction score
Salt state means nothing. It really depends on where the vehicle was stored. It's crazy but vehicles stored in a garage rust far quicker. Anyway....at 100k miles what had already been replaced? Water pump, timing chain guides, alternator, compressor for air suspension, tensioner pulleys, battery, brakes, etc.... Certain things break down on these. If you look around you can find something around $20k. Just have to be patient....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ric in Richmond

Reaction score
Just bought a 2011 HSE lux + in Ipanema Sand at 110000 miles for mid teens. Really clean.

Had lots of front end wandering that everyone I think interpreted as control arms.

Simply looking at control arms shows that all the parts were new.

Had LR do an inspection and they confirmed CA and bushings all new.

Also confirmed my suspicion of a leak under the intake manifold in the cooling system.

The total lack of any service records and those two things I think kept the price low and we scored a nice deal.

Rotating the newer rear tires up front and dialing out the 1/4" of toe out fixed the steering and a new crossover pipe fixed the coolant leak.

Our personal inspection later revealed nearly new pad and rotors on all four corners and not a speck of rust any where.

We do have an issue with one of the doors needing to be manual locked from the inside.

Knocking wood we are good to go for a while.

dwizum

Reaction score
I just bought my first Land Rover last week, a 2010 LR4 with miles in the mid 90's. I paid just over 19k. It had a stack of service records. I haven't added it up but at a quick glance it's probably about 7k in work done in the last 18 months. Timing chains and tensioners, water pump and associated hardware, control arms, brakes, fuel pump, fuel injectors, tires. I've been casually on the market for a nice 6 - 8 year old Land Rover product for years, the timing was right and I liked this particular vehicle. Prior owner was the wife of the sales guy at the dealership I bought it from. I went in to the dealer hoping to get it closer to $18k but when I saw the service history I was happy to pay what I did.

I'm happy with the vehicle and hoping I can get at least 4 or 5 years out of it before it needs anything major. I do my own wrenching and I'm not afraid of intimidating vehicles.

Regarding your vehicle at $23k. I'd bargain hard, especially if there's no warranty and/or no known service history. Or have it looked at by someone who knows these vehicles to check for the common big ticket items. Seems like the stuff mine has recently had is required work around 80 - 100k miles. I don't think I'd pay over $20k for one of these with 100k miles especially if maintenance was unknown.

You said you don't care about year - you may have seen it already, but there's a good thread in this forum comparing the newer V6 LR4 to the older V8 LR4. I've never driven the newer V6. I like the V8, it's plenty of power. In general, I think LR4'***** the sweet spot in terms of having enough tech to be comfortable and modern, but not so much tech that it starts feeling more like a grocery getter and less like a serious vehicle. Not sure if the V6 models lose any of that feeling or not. I would say that I think the V8 model is limited a bit by the transmission, there's nothing wrong with it per say but it's not as smooth and nice shifting as some more modern automatics.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Salt state means nothing. It really depends on where the vehicle was stored. It's crazy but vehicles stored in a garage rust far quicker. Anyway....at 100k miles what had already been replaced? Water pump, timing chain guides, alternator, compressor for air suspension, tensioner pulleys, battery, brakes, etc.... Certain things break down on these. If you look around you can find something around $20k. Just have to be patient....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's crazy but vehicles stored in a garage rust far quicker."

Not sure where you are getting this information from, but that's not true. One could argue that leaving a salt encrusted vehicle inside a "heated" garage would minimally increase the process, but to suggest garaging it would cause it to rust "far quicker", well that's a real stretch.

For entertainment purposes, I'd love to see that study.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought my first Land Rover last week, a 2010 LR4 with miles in the mid 90's. I paid just over 19k. It had a stack of service records. I haven't added it up but at a quick glance it's probably about 7k in work done in the last 18 months. Timing chains and tensioners, water pump and associated hardware, control arms, brakes, fuel pump, fuel injectors, tires. I've been casually on the market for a nice 6 - 8 year old Land Rover product for years, the timing was right and I liked this particular vehicle. Prior owner was the wife of the sales guy at the dealership I bought it from. I went in to the dealer hoping to get it closer to $18k but when I saw the service history I was happy to pay what I did.

I'm happy with the vehicle and hoping I can get at least 4 or 5 years out of it before it needs anything major. I do my own wrenching and I'm not afraid of intimidating vehicles.

Regarding your vehicle at $23k. I'd bargain hard, especially if there's no warranty and/or no known service history. Or have it looked at by someone who knows these vehicles to check for the common big ticket items. Seems like the stuff mine has recently had is required work around 80 - 100k miles. I don't think I'd pay over $20k for one of these with 100k miles especially if maintenance was unknown.

You said you don't care about year - you may have seen it already, but there's a good thread in this forum comparing the newer V6 LR4 to the older V8 LR4. I've never driven the newer V6. I like the V8, it's plenty of power. In general, I think LR4'***** the sweet spot in terms of having enough tech to be comfortable and modern, but not so much tech that it starts feeling more like a grocery getter and less like a serious vehicle. Not sure if the V6 models lose any of that feeling or not. I would say that I think the V8 model is limited a bit by the transmission, there's nothing wrong with it per say but it's not as smooth and nice shifting as some more modern automatics.

Perfect it had all the usual suspects done before you bought it.

Well done. OP these are the things you should be looking at to see if they have been done.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If by "dealer" you mean LR dealer, then they can give you records of at least all service done at a LR dealership. With those options, $23k seems pretty fair. A base model might go for $19..$20K but for a Lux in good shape, this seems fair.

If you spend a little time on the forum, you will find that most of us with MY 2010+ vehicles are pretty happy. The service woes are largely from ca 2006 vehicles.

You definitely need to have a sense of humor for occasional glitches (usually solved by disconnecting the battery for 10 sec), and high maintenance costs ($250 oil change, for example), but these pains are offset by driving such a capable and overall fun-to-drive rig.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"It's crazy but vehicles stored in a garage rust far quicker."

Not sure where you are getting this information from, but that's not true. One could argue that leaving a salt encrusted vehicle inside a "heated" garage would minimally increase the process, but to suggest garaging it would cause it to rust "far quicker", well that's a real stretch.

For entertainment purposes, I'd love to see that study.
I have noticed over the years that the vehicle I keep in the garage gets more corrosion. I live on a1a in Florida so there is plenty of salt in the humid air... funny that this was brought up as I was just having this conversation with a neighbor.

Last edited:

vulf

Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback, it has been really helpful. I'm usually not one to worry about owning a vehicle with high mileage if I've owned it a long time or know it's history. I've got an Audi with 200+k on the clock and still going strong. But buying a vehicle with high miles and unknown history makes me nervous. But it seems like as long as I get the vehicle inspected by a knowledgeable tech and/or know it's history, there shouldn't be any reason to panic.

The LR4 I was looking at was sold to someone else over the weekend, but I'm still in the market for something similar. Now I just have more time to spend on the forum learning about these trucks! Thanks again for the input.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Crosboro

Reaction score
Can't add anything about the price, but I would suggest staying away from 19" tires. I have them on my 2010 LR2, and there are no good off-road tires that dealers say will work. I know I can use Zeons or Continental TerrainContact A/T, but no tire dealer agrees with much enthusiasm.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut