GMRS Radio Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to ordering a stand-alone GMRS radio. After using a handheld unit on trips and trails I figured I’d upgrade. Went with the Midland MXT115, 15watts. Mainly because it has a USB port for charging devices. The unit comes with a magnetic antenna, but I ordered an extended range antenna as well.

Radio will be mounted between drivers seat and console as its fairly small in size. It comes wired with a cigarette style 12v plug-in. By cutting the wire closest to plug you can splice hardwire for easy power tap. I’m mounting the NMO antenna to the Commet RS730 onto my rear ladder. I expect the install to be easy(fingers crossed). Simply running the antenna cable from the radio back.. photo is example of mounting location. The bracket is 1/2” for CB’s. Drilling the hole out to 3/4” to accommodate NMO size.

88DF7FCE-4379-429D-B392-CD8E110CBB2F.png

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I bought a modded Kenwood TM-281A (ham radio) with a mag mount and an antenna on hamradio.com (I live 10 minutes away from the store) for my last outing. I ended up mounting it into the upper glove box and it fits perfectly in there with the mic attached, and I can close the glove box.

My question to you is, where do you place your mic? Trying to get some ideas here. Thanks!

FYI: If anyone is thinking about getting a CB radio, get this ham radio instead! The range on it is amazing! This specific ham radio can be modded to use CB frequencies, so you don't need a ham license to operate it while using CB frequencies. While rendezvousing with some buddies wheeling in the canyons, I was able to pick up the CB channel with a buddy that has the same setup and we were about 10 miles away. No one else in our group could hear us talking to each other.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a modded Kenwood TM-281A (ham radio) with a mag mount and an antenna on hamradio.com (I live 10 minutes away from the store) for my last outing. I ended up mounting it into the upper glove box and it fits perfectly in there with the mic attached, and I can close the glove box.

My question to you is, where do you place your mic? Trying to get some ideas here. Thanks!

FYI: If anyone is thinking about getting a CB radio, get this ham radio instead! The range on it is amazing! This specific ham radio can be modded to use CB frequencies, so you don't need a ham license to operate it while using CB frequencies. While rendezvousing with some buddies wheeling in the canyons, I was able to pick up the CB channel with a buddy that has the same setup and we were about 10 miles away. No one else in our group could hear us talking to each other.

I ordered a mounting plate specific for our 4’s and 3’s from ProClips. There’s one made that mounts next to the steering wheel and one that mounts to the right of the terrain response knob. It mounts via adhesive so no drilling required. I’m drilling a small hole into the plate that comes with the ProClips system to hold the mic slide.

I thought about mounting the MXT115 inside of the upper glove box, but wasn’t sure about drilling or where to run the wiring because that area is close to the passenger airbag. Any recommendations?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look into the ProClips.

There's a lot of room above, behind, and below the upper glove box. If I remember correctly, I had to pop out the right plastic panel adjacent to the upper glove box. Then pull as hard as I could to the point where I thought the upper glove box was going to break, and it'll pop out.

Once out, the upper left corner has an opening. I just drilled a bigger hole for the power cable. I also had to drill out the back of the glove box to accommodate the antenna wire. I accidentally made an offset hole that didn't line up for the antenna and had to make a bigger hole.

If I had to do it again, I'd mount the radio as far back as possible, as far left as possible, and then tighten the side mounts to be able to adjust the radio position. Adjust the radio according to the indented glove box cover. Drill a small hole from the back to line up the antenna to find the exact position to drill out the final hole. Then pull power and antenna through that hole.

Last edited:

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you run power directly to the battery or tap in somewhere?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I ended up using a mini low profile fuse tap to tap into the cigarette lighter fuse on the fuse box behind the bottom glove box for the power lead and grounded the black lead. I didn't want to accidentally leave it ON while camping.

Someone on our trip also mentioned, what if I wasn't around and someone needed to call for help. So I would, probably change it to the dome light fuse.

Fuse tap:
https://www.amazon.com/Qiorange-cir...rkue3qjm3o6fd_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=automotive

Last edited:

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE.

Completed MXT115 install. Very easy, yet time consuming. Drilling a hole to adjust antenna size for bracket wasn’t as easy as planned. Ran wires under carpet and under drivers seat back to the rear area.

Tram antenna $10 Amazon. Able to pick up at least 27mi(tested with a friend) on low band.

Mounted next to knee. I am able to adjust seat forward and backward if need be. No obstructions. Mounted mic to ProClips bracket next to steering column.
001D3E45-211E-4B7E-9600-00918739224C.jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi