Gobi Roof Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Douglas225

Reaction score
In the absence of the FR load bar kit available here in the US, i am now looking at roof racks. I like the voyager; however, based on my need to carry canoe and Jon boat, i am a little concerned about the rubbing against the wind flaring up front. Not a deal killer because i am sure there is a work around, but based on this concern i have done some additional searching.

I bumped into another brand that i have not heard much about on this or other forums (i have used the search feature extensively). The brand is Gobi and the rack is a little more expensive, but it does not require short OEM rails, it comes with a ladder and it has flooring already installed through much of it (and includes removable horizontal bars). Overall it is a good looking option, but there is virtually nothing i can find on the web related to noise, which is a concern of mine (the flaring is below the front top bar, which i like, but am wondering if it will howl). Anyone who has any experience with these, please let me know your thoughts on purchasing again given other avaiabilities/options.

davfoto

Reaction score
I have a friend who has one on his 3rd gen 4runner and he loves it. I think they are relatively new to the LR game so not many people probably have their racks. I'll ask him about wind noise, but knowing him and his 4runner, that thing isn't exactly quiet to begin with considering he has 35 inch MTRs on it.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A friend has one of those on his Jeep. It's a very nice looking rack.
Haven't seen one on a LR yet.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn are those attachment accessories expensive...$175 for a bracket to hold a high lift or an axe?

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn are those attachment accessories expensive...$175 for a bracket to hold a high lift or an axe?

My prospeed accessories are ridiculously expensive as well...but that's why you need to be hardware-store savvy. You'd be amazed how handy a full variety of U-Bolts are (I use them to secure just about everything)...and even with them being all stainless steel you can acquire several sets for less than the price of one "official" mounting bracket"

sonicpix

Reaction score
I've been looking at roof racks since before I owned an LR3. I saw the gobi, and like you, I want it for a canoe. What I didn't like about the gobi's I saw was the raise from bar. I think the Voyager racks aren't raised. This one I tend to like because it can be minimalist, but is adaptable. But I ahven't read many (any) reviews on them

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...w-table-opening-front-runner-slimline-ii.html

Jazzy

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4 with the Gobi stealth roof rack and can honestly say it is my favorite and most used modification of everything I’ve done. The family and I use it so much and in so many different ways. The convenience of being able to walk on it to me is worth the investment...makes loading and unloading so simple...and just a lot of fun for hanging out and pics. The increase in noise is very minimal, and after driving with it for a year, the only time I notice any noise is when the rack is full of tough/storage boxes and or gear and on the highway...which is the same for all racks. I would absolutely buy a Gobi rack again!

gervin23

Reaction score
I've been looking at roof racks since before I owned an LR3. I saw the gobi, and like you, I want it for a canoe. What I didn't like about the gobi's I saw was the raise from bar. I think the Voyager racks aren't raised. This one I tend to like because it can be minimalist, but is adaptable. But I ahven't read many (any) reviews on them

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...w-table-opening-front-runner-slimline-ii.html

I have a frontrunner ladder on my LR3. I'm not happy with the coating. It's rusting from the inside out and I live in Colorado.

Douglas225

Reaction score
I have a 2012 LR4 with the Gobi stealth roof rack and can honestly say it is my favorite and most used modification of everything I’ve done. The family and I use it so much and in so many different ways. The convenience of being able to walk on it to me is worth the investment...makes loading and unloading so simple...and just a lot of fun for hanging out and pics. The increase in noise is very minimal, and after driving with it for a year, the only time I notice any noise is when the rack is full of tough/storage boxes and or gear and on the highway...which is the same for all racks. I would absolutely buy a Gobi rack again!
Thx for sharing your experience. Very helpful

Jazzy

Reaction score
IMG_2267.JPG IMG_2267.JPG IMG_2262.JPG IMG_2259.JPG IMG_2264.JPG IMG_2261.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV