Good Deal on a 2000 or No

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davus

Reaction score
Found a 2nd owner 2000 LR Disco on LetGo for $3600, checked maintenance history and has been taken exceptionally good care of. Also found a $1600 on Craigslist with blown head gaskets, but most other things have been replaced by dealership recently. Is it worth it to repair the LR or just buy the one already functioning? I have a few grand to dump into repairs but I want to spend as little as possible. Both have roughly same mileage.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
properly done head gaskets will run you about $1000 - $1500 at a good shop (I don't mean the dealer).

Has either had the front drive shaft replaced?

How many miles?

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Davus, your asking for way more expenses than that "blown head gasket" vehicle is worth after parting it out.
Blown gaskets (why they blew?) antifreeze destroys cats (2 or 4 cats on 2000 LR?) as well the four O2 sensors. Have you priced them out as well the head gaskets plus a top end gasket kit if a DIY repair????? Not dealer pricing, maybe if LR OEM parts not aftermarket with "Rock Auto".
A bottomless pit once heads are off a "should I give it a light valve job", resurface (note skim lightly) the heads adding more parts and labor.
When all done will it pass smog in the state of Georgia if it has smog checks? I bet if not and doing all the work yourself you'll finaly have a running Rover in the $5-$6K plus range, OUCH!"
DIY is way cheaper except parts costing more than the initial cost of that clean running Rover you mentioned.
BTW Magna Flow's "high flow cats" work great for you lucky non Kalifornia LR people. Flows way better than LR cat system and way cheaper. I'm running on 16 years with Magna Flow cats passing smog checks with flying numbers, actually too clean but that's a another matter and with RPI performance chip.
Here in Kalifornia example my 95 D1 (5 spd w/4.6) OB1 vehicle must replace cats with OB2 cats, OB1 cats not be sold in Kalifornia only 49 state cats unless purchased by an out of state buyer then shipping OB1 cats back to me. Summitt cats were the cheapest with Magna Flow cats.
Add another feature, OB1 cats having a manufactured date stamping on them must be manufactured before a certain date in Kalifornia to be legally installed should a "Smog ****" check cat manufactured dates a rare event.
Running with plus a spare set of Magna Flow cats pre dated before Kalifornia's mandated OB2 cat installed on OB1 vehicle law passed.
I can live with $87 each OB1 cats that flow better than OB2 cats and three times cheaper than OEM LR cats.
A little Tig, Mig, hydraulic pipe expander exhaust work for my DIY free flowing exhaust system with Borla's "cat back" SS exhaust system.

Tag your it, Carl.....~~=o&o>.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA